How interesting...

A local low-energy-renewable-green season of events is about to start.

One venue open is an eco house which is allegedly so efficient it generates £4,500 in income every year from FiT, as well as enough electricity to run a Mitsu i-Miev. Contact Harry on...

Remarkable coincidence...?

Reply to
Adrian

Um, that's not efficiency, that's leeching. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Until the FiT stops being available?

Reply to
Davey

But how does solar charge an electric car that is being used during the day? Does arry only drive at night?

Reply to
dennis

'arry doesn't drive much at all, day or night. 'lectric car see, range hardly enough to get to the supermarket and back. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Harry is presumably now green with envy since it is unlikely he gets significantly more than £1500 from his 4kw array.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Have a look at

I think it unlikely that even Harry could envy himself.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Its amazing what a bit of double counting can do for the figures...

Reply to
John Rumm

Well the £4k5 saving is much more than my energy bill so it would be a bit difficult to save that much.

Reply to
dennis

remarkable coincidence but the original report above does definitely state £4,500 from FiT.

So let us assume Harry gets £1500 via his FiT contract. Where does the other £3000 come from? The original report states it generates income which is not the same as saving money by using free electricity or by insulating to such a high standard that heating is not required. Even if the real meaning is savings a modern house would not have energy bills in excess of £1000 and the mileage you can do in an electric car would make it difficult to justify savings in petrol and VED of any magnitude if he ran a small petrol car instead.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Essex Fire Brigade is going to spend £2M on solar panels because it's going to generate revenue and save council tax payer money. They failed to say that the council tax payer is first going to stump up the £2M for fitting AND then an extra 4% of their power utility bills for FIT payments. Where is the saving to the council tax payer or do Fire Brigade leaders think there is magic bucket of money from which these payment appear?

Reply to
alan

Perhaps you ought to write a letter to the local paper(s) copied to the local Council and Fire service asking for clarification (aka proof) that there will be a saving for the "council tax payer" and how long it will be before the that saving actually appears.

The 4% (that low I thought the "green levy" was 11% ...) is sort of irelevant as you are going to pay that wether the panels are installed or not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In the last few days a radio 4 program reported that the total green levy was closer to 20% of your bill. The 4% is the amount paid by the majority to just fund those with solar panels. Windmills etc. are another 10 to 12%.

Reply to
alan

If I was in any doubt, the pillbox windows sealed it.

Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

OMG:

fred

I take it you have not seen the TV program then?

Reply to
John Rumm

But if that is arrys house how does he claim 41p per unit generated. He has 21 panels and that would put him over the 4kWp (16 250w/240w panels would be the limit) where the FIT drops. I hope he hasn't made a false claim or it could get cancelled.

Reply to
dennis

A 21 panel installation doesn't necessarily mean the total output is over the 4kWp limit. Not all panels produce 250W.

All the decent ones are 240w or 250w AFAIK.

There are a lot of 18 panel systems being installed around here and they are 250W panels.

Reply to
dennis

Goodness no, to pay too much attention might give the subject the illusion of importance.

I have heard that it is a shocker though.

Reply to
fred