How can I undo a small screw?

I have to undo a very small screw in a very small laptop (Sony C1 Picturebook) in order to change the hard disk. The screw is a Phillips screw, but I may have damaged the recess.

Are there any tricks in doing this? I was thinking if the worst came to the worst, I could try to drill it out - but that would be dangerous - or try sawing a slot in the screw.

I think I have a more than sufficient array of screwdrivers of all kinds (including the most plausible, an "electronic screwdriver" set from Maplin).

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Angle grinder.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

Did you use jeweller's screwdrivers?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How very small is "very small"? Some small cross head screws from the Far East are not really Philips or Pozi but something else. See if you can get a cross head spectacle screw driver. I got a double headed (slot and cross head) from Boots for a few quid, does the biz on these small Far Eastern cross heads.

Get a driver that fits properly, there is so little metal one slip and the chances are it's going to be beggared.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wouldn't let anyone loose near *my* laptop with an angle grinder!

Reply to
Set Square

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:34:28 +0100, "Set Square" strung together this:

You mean you'd only do it yourself, that's the uk.d-i-y spirit!

Reply to
Lurch

Well, obviously it would need a small one! Tch!

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

Yes, they're only really useful once in a blue moon, but when nothing else will do they're invaluable.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

What you mean is one of the small cutting disks that you get on a dremal. They are about 0.5mm thick and will cut a very nice clean slot. I have done that many times.

In fact it is the only time I have ever used the dremal.

Reply to
Scott Mills

Like the one my dentist keeps using on my tooth perhaps ?

Reply to
G&M

Yes, that was my first try. A very small slot screwdriver in a jeweller's set is the nearest I have come. it doesn't turn round as the Phillips drivers do (without turning the screw) but on the other hand I can't turn it.

I wonder if the epoxy method someone suggested could possible work? Has anyone ever used this method?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

In message , Timothy Murphy writes

If you're not concerned with sacrificing the screw, why not epoxy a cheap screwdriver to the screw

Reply to
raden

X-Sheds (where X is an indeterminate variable) - you spend too much time in UKRM

Reply to
raden

a) Pick exactly the right size screwdriver, eg jeweller's type. b) Increase the grip using some clever stuff called "Hexagrip". It is a paste in a miniature 'toothpaste tube', containing fine diamond particles, and it helps the screwdriver grip better. I have some knocking about in my toolbox somewhere - probably got it from RS but I can't check for a part number as their UK website is offline at the moment.

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

A careful hammer tap often unseizes screws in metal, makes them come undone easier.

Reply to
N. Thornton

This is true. Also, have you tried the old trick of trying to tighten it up even more? Often works, especially when you've damaged the slot. Put a bit of WD40 on to lubricate. It's not as daft as it sounds :o)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

I know :o)

But it's addictive and they make so much sense. Sometimes. Ok, rarely.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

Thanks for all the advice. I tried everything, but in the end I drilled out the screws with a hand-drill and a 2mm bit. I found the screws were held in place with some kind of lockit compound (red).

Reply to
Timothy Murphy