House rewire

A friend of mine is having her house rewired and from what I hear it sounds like a poor quality job. Am I right in thinking that a test certificate should be issued on completion?

Thanks.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:49:32 GMT, "Joe" strung together this:

Yes, but if the people rewiring the house are muppetts then it's not worth the paper it's scrawled on.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:49:32 GMT, "Joe" strung together this:

No, but if one is issued and the people are muppetts etc...

Reply to
Lurch

Yes. What are your/her particular concerns and have you spoken to the contractor? Your friend should pay nothing until she gets her certificate.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:49:32 GMT, "Joe" strung together this:

What I meant to say was;

What I meant to say was no, but if the etc....

Reply to
Lurch

The wife was on the phone to the friend this morning and the story is half the money has been paid up front and the wiring will be finished this week, but the floor boards will not be refitted till the week after as he has got another job on. I dread to think what will happen if her 4 year old falls through the holes!

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Well, that's not great obviously, but given that you normally have to lift floorboards for a rewire, there's nothing above to suggest directly that the electrical work itself won't be up to scratch! Anything else?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm going round tonight to look for myself.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

certificate

With all due respects David, whilst I agree that it is normal to lift the floorboards, they are usually replaced as soon as possible after testing the new wiring - and not a week later.

Leaving them up that long is dangerous for the occupants (if even they are just replaced loosely), smacks of shoddy workmanship and the possibility that if the sparks asks for full payment BEFORE completion, it may well be virtually impossible to get him back to finish the job.

My advice as always, NEVER pay up-front if asked - any halfway decent, bona-fide contractor does the work first and THEN asks for payment - major works excepted, when monthly valuations on COMPLETED work are ok and the norm.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G