House Maintenance Costs

Has anybody ever seen any published figures for maintenance costs. I am thinking along the lines of the figures for rebuilding costs. ie 1930's 3 bed semi would have an average of £x spent on maintenance each year.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

The trouble is its far from average.

A friend one told me that in general a house lasts about 120 years effectively. It gets a minor refirb - say 10% of its cost - every 15 years, a bigger refurb - say 20% of its dcost every 30 years and a complete strip and redo about every 60 years, up to 50% of the cost of redoing the whole structure.

The process repeats except that at 120 years its so bloody out of date that you tend to start over with a pile of rubble instead ;-)

Bare structurecststo rebuodl are £60-£100/sq ft roughly. But a class refurb to ditzy interiors standards can cost as much as that

I think you wouldn't be far wrong to say that around £1-£1.50 a sq ft annualised is probably a fair price to maintain a house in every respect. And I mean in every way possible..new curtains, carpets furniture appliances and the like, as well as servicing decorating and so on.

Alarming isn't it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Figures depend on the type of house, eg old houses can need a lot more ongoing work than modern. TNP's figures strike me as more fitting for vanity refurbs than genuine maintenance though. Of course it also depends on how one approaches it, I've seen one house maintained on a mind bogglingly low budget, and others where people have simply done what they've been told, and spent a huge amount of money unnecesarily. They thought it was all necessary, but believing what one is told can be foolish at times..

50% of cost every 60 years seems a bit wild.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

HOUSE cost. Not actual 'house with land, in situation' PRICE. If you think 2 grand a year is NOT what you spend in a small house on redecoarting, servicing boilers, replainf ded washingmachines, ligh bulbs, etc etc etc I think you are lucky.. \ If you think that a full refirb on a small house is LESS than 30 grand, I am amazed.

Being as how the *replacement* cost for a 1000 sq ft house is about

60-100 grand.

Which i also why unless its listed, its often a better bet pulling it down and starting over.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rebuilding costs or maintenance costs? They'er different aren't they. What is it that you're trying to work out and/or who are you trying to convince of something?

Reply to
adder1969

cost as much as that

probably a fair price to maintain a house in every

Unless you work on original sale price

I think my house cost something like £400 originally (I'd have to check the deeds)

Of course, the cost of DIY and "getting a man in" are so wildly different that it's a difficult thing to put a price on

Reply to
geoff

Rebuilding costs or maintenance costs? They'er different aren't they. What is it that you're trying to work out and/or who are you trying to convince of something?

I am answering a question on a mediation form that is looking into household expenditure. One question is "House Maintenance" what ever that is. When I go to mediation I can find out but I guess that I am not the first person who has had to answer this question. The trouble is maintenance is such a once in a blue moon but never the less massive expense how do you equate it to a monthly figure that means anything. Every 20 years I need a new boiler and every 60 years I need a new roof. How does that equate to a an average monthy charge that is meaningful.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Simple, take the replacement cost and divide by the lifetime.

And add in all the servicing needed in the meantime.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That might well give you a figure for the building, but if it's to work out the estimated outlay of the current occupier then you could do it forecast over the estimated amount of time that the occupier will be there. I don't expect to be in my current house in 10 years time and I don't expect to have to do the roof in that time. ..but I do expect to have to redecorate and mow the lawn etc etc. I dont' expect to have to repaint windows etc as they're all upvc.

Reply to
adder1969