Home security webcams - Linux & IR

hi guys,

having finally got my "server" running 24/7 in the loft (mainly used as a download/media sever) the options available when you have a machine available all day are expanding.

My latest whim, is to set up a couple of webcams covering the 2 streets of the corner we live on. Ideally they would have to be able to work at night, so I presume some form of IR-sensitive (& IR source) would be needed.

The ultimate goal would be to have them feeding into the server (running Ubuntu), and have some software which parses the images and only records movements.

Not looking for broadcast quality.

Just wondered if anyone else had tackled such a project, and what their suggestions/advice would be. I know Linux can be funny about webcams, so that would be the first issue, I guess

Reply to
Jethro

let me know how you get ion. I'd do the same, but down the garden to watch them badgers...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rather than "webcams" have a look at PCI cards, available on the likes of eBay, they will accept a standard compsite video feed, as outputted by any normal CCTV camera (Lots of rthem on eBay, with and without IR!)

You can also get IP cameras, that just require power and an eternet connection, but these are quite expensive compared to "normal" CCTV cameras.

I have a dedicated DVR (Whuch apparently runs on linux) so I don't have any experiance with setting one up manually I am afraid!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

its 200 yards to the badgers, and I dont want wires!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Zoneminder is the software you want to look at,

pcb1962

Then WiFi IP cameras, or a 2.4GHz wireless camera system that plugs into the PCI card mentioned above will do :-)

...but the latter does negate the CC of CCTV though...

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

but how much is a "normal" cctv camera?

On advice gleaned here I've now got 2 X sub =A350 IP cameras up and running - image is comparable to my analog cheapo CCTV, best bit so far is motion detection and resultant email alert/ video FTP upload.

I don't actually need a PC on all day to run them, and can check/be alerted wherever I am as long as I can get emails.

For the OP's scheme, watch out for the "visible" IR illuminators- they will be obvious and probly spotted/targeted; is it technically legal to cctv two public? streets?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
Jim K

some "enterprising" Ebayers were advertising wireless CCTV cameras (60-80 quid) that could be allegedly "easily" tweaked to transmit 500m rather than the ususal 100m that I suspect "approval" dictates.....

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Wot you gonna get the badgers to power the cams ;-) badger wheels?

Usual problem with `wireless` cams is powering them, by time you run power may as well run signal back.

Personal prefernce is Cat5 and baluns , 200yds/ 160m, Cat5 comes in

1000ft box.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

At the school where I work we have a CCTV system which records events in the grounds. We are required by law to put up warning notices that CCTV recording is in operation.. I would be very careful about recording events off your property - IANAL but I suspect that recording events in a public place could come under the Human Rights Laws

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

about

outputted by any

Lucky you - they come and crap all over our farm yard, even on the patio outside the front door!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Those laws (and the DPA) are aimed more at companies and public bodies rather than individuals as I understand it.

Reply to
Adrian C

It is legal if you are not a business. What you do with the footage may not be legal though.

Reply to
dennis

You mean as in I have the right to video or photograph anyone in a public area.

If anyone tries to stop you they are breaking the law unless they can prove its preventing terrorism.

Reply to
dennis

If you want low light cameras (not webcams) I'd suggest checking they have exview sensors. They're normal TV style video out and most are B&W but they don't need IR illumination. The nice thing about these is they use interchangable lenses, so you can choose the lens that gives the FoV you want, rather than being stuck with a fixed (and lower quality) lens on a webcam.

Reply to
pete

Q: My neighbour has installed a CCTV camera and it is pointing towards my house/garden. Is this a breach of the Data Protection Act?

If your neighbour?s camera is installed on their residential property and being used for their own personal domestic use, they are unlikely to be breaching the Data Protection Act. This is because the use of CCTV cameras for domestic security purposes is exempt from the data protection principles. This applies when a person uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home. If your neighbour is using CCTV for business purposes they will need to comply with the Act. If you are concerned about the use of domestic CCTV it may be worth contacting your local police. For more information, contact our helpline or read our CCTV code of practice.

from:

robert

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Malcolm saying something like:

There's so much bollocks talked about this.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No, but its a breach of your rights to 'quiet enjoyment' probably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

FWIW, I found the following quite an interesting read.

Reply to
Adrian C

More like lucky you !

Encourage them further away by leaving small blobs of dog food (Cheaper the better.... Chappie is good) to a location where they are less of a nuisance. When you have them where you like them to be set up a camera they are amazing little critters to watch.

NOTE that they *are* protected under law and it carries a heavy fine if you are found disturbing or harming them. Your local Badger group will be delighted to know they are there and offer sound advice on dealing with them as friends not foe.

Reply to
Me Here