HELP!! - Zanussi washer/drier tub seal replacement - any tips?

Hello all,

I've just spent a major portion of the Easter weekend faffing around trying to fix a small leak on my 7 year old Zanussi washer drier (WDJ1294 if that makes any difference) - I think all the ones from that era have a pretty similar construction of the tub/drum.

I've had the back off it, I've had it laid down, I've had all the hoses, pumps, everything out, cleaned them all and refitted everything, and still a small leak when it spins.

I finally discovered that the leak is from the actual tub (the bit the drum lives in) and on these models it's two big plastic halves bolted together. I've ordered a replacement "gasket" - this is a VERY big gasket that seals between the two halves of the tub.

Replacing this is going to require getting the whole tub assembly out, and that is NOT a job I'm looking forward to. The main problem is that my wife has her weekly washing routine, which seems to involve washing every day, and she's not willing to do several days washing all at once so that I can spend a few days on fixing it. No, that would be too simple - instead she wants it fixed and I only get one day to spend on it. It's also one of those hateful jobs where it all has to be put back together to discover whether it's worked.

SO, if anyone has had one of these tubs right out and split in half I'd be very interested in any tips/warnings. I hope I can do it all from the back of the machine - with the rear half off the case it seems to have reasonable access - hopefully I don't have to take the front off as well. My nightmare scenario is getting it all out and broken down, then finding I need some kind of special sealant or something to smear on the new gasket. No doubt this would happen on a Sunday afternoon in the traditional way. So if i need to get any other supplies in (apart from beer) I'd be very grateful for any pointers.

Thanks,

Simon Stroud.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

You tight Wad!! Just buy the woman a new washing machine.

Rob :-)

Reply to
Rob(UK)

I would do. It's just that she has a medium-term future building project in mind, where we'd end up with space for a separate washer and dryer instead of the current compromise single machine. BUT for now we only have room for the single machine. So, if I replace this one immediately it'll have to be another washerdryer. I'd rather patch this one up to last a bit longer.

Regards,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud