HELP NEEDED - Plug Socket Switch Protection

Squirt superglure into the switch.

Reply to
Huge

DO NOT do this, otherwise you will probably kill the power supply in your computer.

I doubt the computer will draw enough current for the contact to weld either.

Reply to
Toby

How about gluing etc a strip of wood or whatever to the plug top with a support going down to the socket face? Covering the switch. That would prevent it being accidently knocked off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I meant to add a smiley. But I do have several (cheap) sockets where this has happened.

Reply to
Reentrant

Skipweasel

In recent times, the high switch-on inrush current of switchmode power supplies has added to the problem of switch contacts welding themselves together. [Sorry about all the 'switches' in that sentence.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I have a 40A DP switch which turns everything off overnight. Everything, in this instance, means two PCs, two reading lamps, a printer, two monitors, the modem, the router, the WiFi bridge, the HiFi and two lots of PC speakers. But not the cat's hotspot - we'd never hear the last of it if we did that.

There's a distinct flash sometimes from behind the switch when I turn it off - though the room is usually dark at the time so I suppose it's more noticeable. I expect one day it'll pack up completely.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Easiest and cheapest solution is to plug in somewhere else. A tout round a few cupboards or meeting rooms will turn up an extension lead if the next socket is further away (I've yet to be in any sort of office where one can't collect up any amount of interesting/useful detritus that's left lying around.)

Alternatively, nail colleagues chair to the floor.

Reply to
Scott M

I was going to suggest one of those, but couldn't find anyone selling them. It's a really simple answer.

I got mine from Betterware, but they don't seem to have them any more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, and the DVD, the cable box and the telly.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I searched all over the place for exactly that - but like you I couldn't find it.

Perhaps they'd sell better now more people have computers that they don't want turned off.

Reply to
Skipweasel

If it's like the ones I used when kids were small, you just loosen the two screws enough to slide it over, then tighten them again. No real risk of causing trouble unless the wires aren't screwed in properly, in which case they could cause problems any time and you are doing people a favour by revealing the fault.

Although I like superglue, as long as you can do it without being seen!

Reply to
newshound

In article , Reentrant writes

That'll do his PC a power of good!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

He could be working somewhere like I used to where to isolate the socket requires turning off the power to the entire floor serving twenty offices, and needs a work request submitted to accommodation services and advance payment of a fee set by throwing darts at a dartboard, and waiting for a workman to turn up out of hours when the offices are all empty on double time and a half.

Once took me six months to get a light switch moved from behind the filing cabinets to next to the door.

from unplugging the fridge all the time.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Dairy maids do that, I'm told...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or if wraps use:-

Geo

have read the requirements specification!

Reply to
Bob Eager

His chair would have to have a BS standard finger attached to operate the switch...

Reply to
Geo

But (shock/horror!) he'll need to loosen the two screws holding the socket by a couple of turns to get that on. That will require TOOLS and GREAT EXPERTISE, and he'll need to get AUTHORISATION, WHICH WON'T BE FORTHCOMING. Far better to complain on a NG, get loads of suggestions, and ignore all of them.

Reply to
GB