Heating

Page 1 of 2
When do you turn it on? One of my lodgers seems to be really weak and wants the heating on already - I live in Dorset and it is far from cold yet.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:38:51 +0100, "Matthew Ames"

I also live in Dorset (about as far south as you can go) and I've turned the heating on for the first time today,
Cheers,
John
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:38:51 +0100, "Matthew Ames"

If you have thermostatic controls in the rooms (thermostatic radiator valves) and a room thermostat, then this shouldn't matter. The heating will come on when the temperature is too low.
I leave my heating on the whole time and have a controller with day and night time temperatures. I also have a condensing boiler which will come on and make the radiators just tepid rather than heating them to full temperature of 70 degrees. At this time of year, the heating is coming on in the morning for a short while and then again later in the evening.
Even with a basic thermostat, it should not be necessary to turn the heating off anyway.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yep, we have a programmable thermostat controlling our system. I just leave it alone all the time and it just starts coming on once it gets cold enough.
Mine two has been coming on recently, though just in the morning so far.
--
Chris French, Leeds

wants
Bad advice. Sometimes a cold chill may enter the hallways and switch on the stat. then the heating comes unnecessarily burning fuel, causing expense and adding to global warming.. Best time the heating periods, that is why time clocks are here. When a cold snap comes along, then switch manually, or revert to the time clock. Currently, I have the heating come in the mornings only, as the mornings are guaranteed to be cold. Solar gained heat during the day, people and electrical appliances may be enough to keep the house warm during the evenings. If not manually switch on. It is very simple.

That depends.

That depends on whether you have the thermostat in the hallway.

I didn't say that I don't. The thermostat is a set-back type, and is also fully proportional so the boiler starts at very low level.

In fact it was quite warm this morning and the heating came on only very briefly.

Not to mention the hot air....

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And anyway, having it turn on when the hall temperature drops because of an open door is not necessarily a bad thing, eventually the heating system will have to make up for it anyway.
I played around for a while with ours on a long cable, trying different positions - hallway, landing, sitting room etc.
I decided that the hallway did give the best overall performance, in the sitting room for instance it didn't seem to turn on enough and other parts of the house seemed colder.
Yes, if the front door is open long enough the hall temp drops and the heating kicks but it's not some instant response to a cold draft, it generally takes awhile before the stat seems to sense the reduced temp. and anyway, if the temp has dropped I'd like it warmed up again. The rest of the house is on TRV's so no heat will heat those rooms unless it is required.
--
Chris French, Leeds

If this happens, keep giving half a turn clockwise to the lockshield valve in the room with the thermostat until it stops behaving this way. Doing this, the heating will favour the other rooms. Eventually, they will get to temperature and their TRVs close down. When this has happened, the heat has to go through the only radiator without a TRV and the room thermostat is finally satisfied.
Christian.

As I said. Bad advice.

Well, I'd certainly turn it on now just to make sure it's working, rather than wait until November and finding that it doesn't work
As for your lodger, well that's your decision
--
geoff

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:38:51 +0100, Matthew Ames wrote:

It stays on, the thermostat keeps it off when it's warm enough.

Our heating is now kicking in during the late afternoon as well as first thing in the morning and early evening. Time to stop walking around in T-shirts and find the jumpers. Does your lodger dress properly or insist on wearing few clothes?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

this is the trouble, my lodger is a pratt - he walks around in t-shirts and complains about being cold. I don't think that he has any any blood flow in this body - and that might explain why he always seems to be ill (the other two of us in the house are fit, healthy and not cold).
What I have done is set the heating to come on for 30 minutes in the morning and the same in the evening.

and
in
other
I had a female lodger who walked around in just her bra and knickers complaining it was cold. My gas bill for those 6 months was high but worth every penny.
Adam

flow
LOL Pre'vert (that's being a vert before fact) :-))
Seriously though, why not buy your lodger a hot water bottle. If he's always ill, that'll keep him in bed and out of your hair. Or a butane gas heater for his room and get him to buy the refils for it.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:50:16 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

Should we have a collection and get you that Dirty Old Man Starter Kit for Christmas? ;-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

flow
worth
LOL
Already got the starter kit, and is now on to the intermediate classes. Eh ? Hey Eh ? Know what 'a' mean. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) :-))

Given how far he's got without our help, that would seem like showing (a freshly arrested, in view of certain infamous deeds at parliament) Guy Fawkes, a sparkler! Not all that likely to impress him I fear! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
ARWadsworth wrote:

Didn't work for the police did she? http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003441561,00.html
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

Tee Hee !!
Probably another woman grassed her up. They have been known to be quite jealous creatures. :-))
(flame proof clothing now adorned)
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:29:51 GMT, "BigWallop"

No!? Really? well I never, who'd have thunk it possible?! <VBG>
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}