Heatball

vbg

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Damn - just what I was looking for - and they are sold out...

Reply to
Geo

aka carbon filament light bulb, once used for exactly this

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Hee hee indeed. I have switched to CFL and LED lamps in all but my PIR controlled garden lamps, but I detest the way we are all bullied and badgered into doing it. Not specifically about lamps, but if you educate people and give them the choice, most will make sensible and rational decisions.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Most people arent interested in being educated, so it doesnt happen.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Beat you to it!

David

Reply to
Lobster

But the government wants them to make the same decisions as government ministers, so that wouldn't work.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm not sure about that. Depends how you do it. Being nagged certainly isn't the way. Especially by politicians whom we all love and trust. At its best, TV treats education as a game. Look at all the cookery programmes (or not in my case). Of course people won't cook some of the clever stuff but the idea of cooking gradually sinks in. Or the wild-life programmes that describe the effects of pollution or climate change. The mistake that the great and good make is to think that you can force people to change people quickly. That's why revolutions always turn on the ordinary people when they object to the speed of change. It takes time, but you just need to keep at it. Two of the great qualities of humans are that we are clever and learn and that we resist.

Reply to
Peter Scott

Brill!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've had CFLs in our two PIR lamps for nearly a decade without trouble.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I thought that PIRs needed a small constant current and that CFLs don't like doing that? I am sure I've seen that in a thread here. So I can change the filament lamp for CFLs. Thanks

Reply to
Peter Scott

Search me. The one by the door is an ordinary wall-mounted PIR lamp with a 7W CFL in it. The downstairs loo has a ceiling mounted separate PIR unit feeding the lamp which also has a 7W CFL in it. Both have worked reliably since 2001. IIRC only the downstair loo has had a replacement bulb.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In message , Huge writes

I thought that someone posted that the day before yesterday

Reply to
geoff

It depends on the design of the sensor, if it has a neutral connection then it'll probably be OK. If it relies on the lamp to provide a neutral path then you might have problems.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

In message , Peter Scott wrote

Filmed by a team of 20 who have all flown out from London with 10 tones of equipment and then have gone into virgin rain forest with 100 porters all using badly maintained 30 year old outboard motors that pollute the rivers.

Why do all the presenters of programmes on "global warming" have to present their bit on sea levels from the atoll in the middle of the Pacific that would be lost if sea levels rise by 2 mm ?

Reply to
Alan

That one's easy. It has less impact if they can't claim that they'll be swimming at that point in a year or two. Or maybe fifty years...

Standing at the bottom of a disappearing glacier saying that five years ago, he'd have been under a hundred metres of ice doesn't cut it.

There's also the way that these disappearing atolls tend to be in warm, sunny places for the crew to have their days off.

Reply to
John Williamson

All true I am sure. However I was using that as one example of other ways that people can be informed and educated. Just because the techniques might be phoney or suspect doesn't mean that the message is untrue or not worth pursuing. There are many other examples I could have chosen.

Reply to
Peter Scott