heat loss calculations - adding glass roof to kitchen

Hi there

I need some help. We want to replace about half of the roof in 1/2 the kitchen with glass (pilkington k low e argon and all that) instead of adding a conservatory. I had a chat with the BCO and he menitoned a few things that raised even more questions for me. :

He said as as rule of thumb the total glass area should be no more than

25% of the total floor area. I guess I can then assume that if the current house is ok, I can just make the calculation on the kitchen part and IF the glass/floor ratio for that part is below 25 % it's ok. If not I can calculate the whole house instead and see if that is below.

IF still the ratio is still above 25% I assume I have to start the detailed heat loss calculations.

Anyway, today the kithen part that will get the glass roof has only 8 to 10 cm rockwool over the celing - is pretty drafty int he corner - and I was wondering if it is not good enough to show that by adding the glass and other general improvements to that part of the building we actually minimise the heatloss ?

Any coments on this, and are there any links to this topic somewhere - in have googled

Cheers Lars

Reply to
larry