Hayfever air filters

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap air filter device that could be used in a smallish bedroom to filter pollen out of the air at this time of the year? My son suffers badly from this affliction and it would be nice to be able to help him on bad days. Thanks.

Reply to
kenknott

You may find an air ioniser helps - it tends to make pollen clump together and fall to the floor.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

My wife suffers from hayfever, so we bought a Bionair air purifier with a Hepa filter and Ioniser built in, £49.95 from Argos. It also has 3 speeds so you can leave it on the lowest setting all night.

It helps considerably, but does not completely eradicate the effects of hayfever.

Kaiser

I bought a Daikin Siesta 7 last year for the same problem. It really does clean the air. Most importantly it is quiet. I had a good look around for one and reviews on the cheaper ones said they were noisy. Many people seemed to buy them and stick them in a cupboard. After phoning the guy at this place I decided to take the plunge and have not been disappointed. It comes with a roll of seven filters (secondary) which I have not changed yet although I looked the other day and decided it was time. The first layer filter needs a gentle hoover brush on it every week or so although the instructions tell you to wash it frequently (I don't and find the hoover sufficient). £299 might seem a bit expensive but I have found it to be worth it and I use it all year round to help keep down the dust (which I am also allergic to). If you get one, make sure you read the instructions and hoover the sensor hole regularly.

negative I found was that some of these things look pretty big and ugly. I think this one also looks good. I too use it in a bedroom (10' x

13'). It is ok as long as you can provide the ventilation around it that it needs. Standing it on top of a dresser or something would be ok.

Check out the reviews thoroughly before you buy and be careful of the cheap ones. I have had bad hay fever since a child and know how miserable it is. You might think this one is overkill but you can use it in your lounge daytime and bedroom night time. Good luck in your choice.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

Wet towels. The pollen and dust stick to the wetness. Found them much more effective than fancy pants air filters. Downside is the need to rewet them now and then.

NT

Reply to
bigcat