Halogen Lighting in Bathroom

If I install some recessed lighting is it possible to make it dimmable ? I'm assuming a normal dimmer in a bathroom is a bad idea due to the risk of electric shock with all the moisture about etc. ?

Reply to
Ian Clarke

There are remote control dimmers available using a plastic battery operated TV like remote.

Reply to
IMM

IMM has talked about remore control dimmers. Obviously read some marketing bollox as usual - but modern practice is to have the light switch outsdie the rooom anyway: This will be fine with halogens, tho I'd strongly recommen an external dimmable transformer and bathroom compliant LV halogens.

Funnily enough, you can modify a really beefy dimmer to work on 12V AC like you get from a toroidal type LV transformer. A bit lossy, but it works apparently. The Triac needs uprating for the larger currents, and the resistor needs to come down in value, but the triac doesn't need to be a 400V type anymore.

Such a beast would be reasonably safe in a bathroom.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My local electical supply shop (Cambridge Discount Electrical) sells dimmable pull cords. I thought they were joking when they told me but its true. Could try giving them a call on 01223 248240. They should at least be able to tell you the make. They can be used with dimmable transformers.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

He did.

He never.

Wrong as usual. I saw it on one of those house/DIY TV shows, a TV type remote control. I thought, "now neat", lay in the batn and dim the lights. Then I thought it will end up behind the sofa with other 15 remotes.

Go away? It isn't is it? I thought they had pull cords.

Reply to
IMM

They are in that electrical catalogue, TNT or something.

Reply to
IMM

a> I saw [remote control dimmer] on one of those house/DIY TV shows, a a> TV type remote control. I thought, "now neat", lay in the batn and a> dim the lights. Then I thought it will end up behind the sofa with a> other 15 remotes.

The one I have (in the bedroom, have a platform bed and don't want to climb down...) is programmable. So it runs off a normally unised button on an existing remote. At least it's not one more to worry about.

Reply to
Richard Caley

Have a look at

I have one and it works fine on LV halogen in my bathroom.

Reply to
Carl

TLC (I think) do a pull switch that's a dimmer as well. Clever wot?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

"IMM" wrote | > My local electical supply shop (Cambridge Discount Electrical) sells | > dimmable pull cords. I thought they were joking when they told me but | > its true. Could try giving them a call on 01223 248240. They should at | > least be able to tell you the make. They can be used with dimmable | > transformers. | They are in that electrical catalogue, TNT or something.

TLC? TNT are the people who leave you a card saying "we tried several times to deliver your parcel but you were not in" when they only rang the bell once and ran away before you could get off the loo.

Pull cord dimmer

product will operate in conjunction with GOOD QUALITY low voltage transformers. The maximum load capacity of the Dimpull at 12 volts is 250W. The minimum Load is 50W The maximum and minimum load of both the Dimpull and the Transformer being used should be strictly observed. Where a Low Voltage Transformer is used the LOAD cable should be connected to the SUPPLY - IN terminal of the Transformer. Cable(s) from the 'LOAD - OUT' terminal of the Transformer are then connected to the light fittings. All other instructions set out above should also be observed. PLEASE NOTE: The use of inferior quality transformers will cause the low voltage lamp(s) to 'Pulse' giving unsatisfactory results.

Also says it is suitable for use with bathroom fans.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ok, correction. WATCHED some marketing bollox

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Either neet regulations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. It worked and I saw it. It wasn't an add, a TV housey/DIY prog. And all said "wow, look at that".

Reply to
IMM

They are very good. I picked one up from Wilkinsons, for just under £15.

Compatible with LV lighting, can use either a dedicated remote (available seperately) or a TV or Video remote. Also features a touch-control button on the wall-plate.

The only problem is that you need to re-program it after changing a bulb, but it's a one minute job.

I really can't see the need to be disparaging about them - I find ours very convenient, and consider it good value.

Reply to
Chippy

Have you tried one of these :

BigWallop

/s/modify/totally redesign, surely. The usual type of mains voltage dimmer uses a diac in the triac triggering circuit, with a breakdown voltage of

30-40V. To make it work on 12V you'd need a totally different firing circuit. And the voltage drop and power loss in the triac would not be negligible. The idea is a complete non-starter (literally!) IMHO. Leave the dimmer on the primary side of the transformer.

Normal (wall) lightswitches and dimmers can now be used in bathrooms provided they are in zone 3 or beyond -- i.e. more than 0.6m (horizontally) from the edge of the bath and/or shower tray.

Reply to
Andy Wade