Gutter clearing

I've got a gutter downpipe which is blocked by leaf debris, I think near the top where there is a sharp angle in the downpipe. It has probably been building up for years. Trouble is it's in a position that is almost impossible to get a ladder to.

Is there anything I could pour down the downpipe which would dissolve the leaf debris (without of course dissolving the plastic guttering)? I can get liquid into the gutter easily enough from the skylight.

TIA

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

How about pushing it down with drain-rods inserted from the top? Hopefully the black plastic tube-type rods would be flexible enough to go round the bends.

Reply to
Set Square

If you really can't get to it with any mechanical method, it's got to be worth a try using any proprietary drain unblocker. Since drains are all plastic these days I don't see any problem with it attacking the drainpipe.

If it's been blocked for years though you might have a massive mud-like plug (rather than just leaves) which I think you'll be lucky to shift with chemicals.

If you can't get drain rods to it (as proposed by SetSquare), what about trying something like item 82483 at

(narrow, fibreglass rods intended for cable laying)?

Other alternatives - cut the drainpipe near the bottom and ram drain rods up the way, then just replace the bottom section of pipe. Or cur a small access hole in the pipe at eye level, shove the drainrods up that, then patch-repair the hole afterwards

HTH David

Reply to
Lobster

"Andy Pandy" wrote | I've got a gutter downpipe which is blocked by leaf debris, I think near | the top where there is a sharp angle in the downpipe. It has probably | been building up for years. Trouble is it's in a position that is almost | impossible to get a ladder to. | Is there anything I could pour down the downpipe which would dissolve | the leaf debris (without of course dissolving the plastic guttering)? I can | get liquid into the gutter easily enough from the skylight.

Have you tried a long bendy spring pipe cleaner shoved up from the bottom of the downpipe? B&Q or plumbers merchants will have long bendy spring pipe cleaners in a variety of lengths and thicknesses.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or possibly by pushing a drain rod up from the bottom?

sPoniX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

brick acid?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Owain writes

What about shoving a hose pipe up the downpipe and try water jetting it from below, worked for me in a similar situation? A little messy so wear old waterproofs.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

Caastic soda will take out most organic material.

Its certainly worth a try, as is poking a hose down.

But try poking one up rather...or its it not going to a wossisname - the open grille thingies?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lrss useful on organics - acids need to be very strong to etch away at e.g. leafmould.

Mowever thatey can be used on fibrous stugf like celluose.

I think thats how you make nitroocellulose - a rater excellent explosive...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need to use a mix of two acids in the right proprtions. Most of our sixth form chemistry practicals had a bit of nitrocellulose brewing in a cupboard under a bench.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The Natural Philosopher wrote:t

Castic won't deal with dead birds, btdt, a pressure washer with a drain jetting kit however....

Reply to
Badger

It will deal with most of a dead bird. Cf various murderers who have used it to destroy corpses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Although caustic sounds easier, I think I'd try the mechanical ways first. I'd rather pour caustic soda down a pipe I've tried to jet water up, than create a caustic soda fountain.

Reply to
Nick Atty

Treue, but in this case I thought teh pipe might be inaccessible for mecahnical means.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher