Google Search W.T.F.

This seems to change every time I use it. Now they have done away with the options page where one could define in what countries to search along with several other useful options. What are they playing at ?

Reply to
fred

options page where one could define in what countries to search along with several other useful options. What are they playing at ?

Tracking and recording your every move, selling adverts, driving out competition in some technology / application areas, removing some established functionality or services at a whim (like Google Reader), and as a sideline business they also provide a search facility for the internet.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Try this:

Richard

It's still there but doesn't appear until after you've sumbitted a search. Click on the little cogwheel icon in the top right of the results page and select "Advanced search".

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I thought they had been taken to court and lost on the Google Reader thingummy?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Many thanks. I knew I had found a work around but couldn't find it today. Real p.i.t.a.

Reply to
fred

Or just include e.g. "site:uk" or "site:fr" without the quotes in your search terms.

Reply to
Andy Burns

e options page where one could define in what countries to search along wit h several other useful options. What are they playing at ?Ads not by this s ite

Still there here?

=off

Reply to
harry

Yes, can't you get rid of them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Alternatively, click on "Search Tools" which will bring up another line with "The web" as the first option. Click on that and you get the option to specify pages from the UK.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Alternatively, use Bing.

Reply to
F Murtz

Added!

Thanks for that link, Richard. I also use Yandex, along with Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere. On the whole, rather pointless but...?

However, the whole internet is gearing towards data mining. How else do sites such as Facebook make money!?

Google et al, will tell you that all the info they have on you will be used to enhance your online experience whereupon, the truth is, your preferences are noted and used to narrow down your 'freedom of choice' to better serve their third party business partners.

This is made worse by the fact that, although the ads' aimed at you are to your interest (debatable), you are most likely presented, not with the best quality of product but, the product of a corporate that can pay the host the most.

Hah! I just had a thought. While holidaying in Spain back in the late

80's. We met a few people who were making a scene. They had just left a police station after being arrested for causing a chaos in a club. The club was ushering people in saying entrance is free. But, when they tried to leave they were presented with a bill. LOL

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Oh dear..

RayL12

A version for advanced search (click on Settings to see what's selected):

PeterC

options page where one could define in what countries to search along with several other useful options. What are they playing at ?

I've stopped using Google a) on principle, b) the Search button is off the bottom of the screen and c) the first box has focus (in Opera at least) so that using "1" and "2" to switch tabs just types into the box.

Reply to
PeterC

Which version of Opera? Using Google in Opera here, the search button is where it should be. Typing numbers doesn't switch tabs for me. Opera 12.15 x64 Windows7.

Reply to
Richard

Same, but 32-bit

Reply to
PeterC

You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bit like the EU, give you money to join, but demand billions to stay and wont let you leave.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Saturday 04 May 2013 10:51 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reminds me of the lyrics of a well known song:

"You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave!"

Reply to
Tim Watts