Gas shut off valve.

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose & bayonet fitting.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for shutting off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for shutting off gas pipes?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thee are lots of different types of "water service valves" . Do you have a pic u can host somewhere that we can see ? Is it like these ? Some can be used for gas and water .

?cId=101600&ts=56643&id=23851
any of the others

Stuart B

There are some gas ones which look like water ones, made by NEVA. The gas ones are the ones on the dark line in the picture

Keston came with the 4th one on that line. My multipoint gas heater came with the first on that line which also has an integral pressure test point. They can be locked in the off position by refitting the top circlip the other way round.

Of course, it might be the wrong part has been used in your case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Exactly what I found (in my kitchen) a month or so ago. :(

Lucky you - the previous owner didn't bother with such niceties here.

I bought this which IIRC had the word 'Gas' embossed on the side. They're cheap enough to buy for you to replace if you're in doubt - no?

Reply to
no$spam!delete&abuse%dave

But in the case of TMH it would be clear he can't work on a customer's gas installation, unless he can transmogrify himself into a corgi?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Dave

Indeed. I stopped at that point & refered her to my CORGI mate. Since the gas hob was being replaced by an electric one, all he did was blank it off - which I could have easily done, but rules is rules. Had it been in my own house I would have done it myself.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Interesting! I've seen several hobs connected via hose & bayonet, this was the first hard plumbed one!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It was acceptable until a few years ago.

Reply to
<me9

It was barely acceptable until Nov 2004 when it became unacceptable unless the manufacturer explicitly requires the use of a flexible.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The Medway Handyman

different