gas boiler on landing: noise?

I'm upgrading from a downstairs, back of the house oil boiler to gas. Since the bathroom is moving from downstairs out the back, to downstairs middle of the house, and the hot and cold tank are moving to the loft and landing, from the kitchen, a better location for the new boiler is on the landing (I did want it in the attic but was told they don't work as well when they are above the hot tank?).

If I have it on the landing will I have noise problems? I've been recommended a fan assited model to go on the gable wall of my end terrace.

Thank you, Neil

Reply to
Niel A. Farrow

Depends on the model. All make a noise to some extent. Is this going to be a combi? If so it will have a pump as well as a fan to make noise also clicks, roars etc from the gas valves and burners. I personally would not like even the quietish new boiler I fitted for daughter on my landing, the noise would be too intrusive in the bedrooms. OF course, many modern boilers can be fitted in a cupboard..

Reply to
BillR

Our new gas boiler works quite happily immediately above the hot water tank - cannot see wgy the relative height should matter much with a pumped system. The cold tank is in the loft while the boiler is in a first floor airing cupboard (with a partition round the boiler to give a small air-space). I would not expect you to have a noise problem - may depend on the boiler.

Reply to
Brian S Gray

I have installed two central heating systems in this way. One had the boiler (with fan assisted flue) in a cupboard on the first floor landing. The other has a conventional flue boiler fitted inside a cupboard in the 1st floor bathroom, with the HW cylinder immediately above it. Both have worked extremely well and although there is some slight noise it is not a problem.

In fact, in many ways, this is the most logical position for the boiler being in the centre of the system and with primary pipe runs to the loft kept to an absolute minimum. In the current house, it also meant that it was then very easy to design the system with separate ground and first floor pipe circuits, both of which are controlled independently by their own zone value, thermostat and time clock. The DHW is a third circuit. So we only need to heat the bedrooms in the early morning and late at night, and are not paying to heat them for most of the day.

Another advantage is that any stray heat coming from the boiler goes into the house rather than into the kitchen or garage - giving you a really nice warm bathroom.

Lisci

Reply to
Ververka