Gas and coca tin experiement

we used sodium chlorate and sugar, a hole in the Humbrol paint tin lid, and Jetex fuse, or a car battery with a detonator made of fuse wire wrapped round some match heads.

Youth can occasionally be quite fun..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

taken out of context, that has a sordid ring to it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

but usually wasted on them

Avpx

!!

Reply to
The Nomad

35mm film cans were also useful
Reply to
charles

And sometimes brought to a premature end. God knows why/how we survived.

Reply to
Windmill

Yes. My mother-in-law's apple tree was fried to a crisp by some navvies looking for a gas leak in a trench in the pavement with a lighted match. They found it all right - even made the local news at the time.

The leak was so bad with a 20' sheet of yellow flame that they had to isolate an entire neighbourhood and have two fire tenders playing water on the neighbouring houses to prevent damage to them. Luckily noone was hurt in the incident but I am told it burned for most of a day.

Reply to
Martin Brown