Garage Door Security

I've got an up and over door with the lock in the central handle and want to improve the security.

Due to the gap between the metal edge and the side wood work it is not really possible to fit any extra bolts at the bottom. I was thinking of some kind of locking bar/post type arrangement in front of the door but have only seen one in B&Q and it seemed a bit expensive.

Does anyone know, please, when I might find a suitable product or can off any advice ?

Thanks Dave

Reply to
DavidKendall

DavidKendall wrote on 28/04/2006 :

Apart from adding the post you suggest:-

  1. You could add extra spring type bolts into the side or top of the frame, working off the existing handle/lock. Someone posted a source for such door parts today in response to another enquiry in the ng.

  1. You could fit an hasp and padlock at the bottom of the door to the outside. Fit the hook part to the concrete and bolt the hinged part at the bottom of the door.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I secured my garage door (basically similar to yours) internally (only works if garage has another door), by making use of the LH & RH brackets above the door and from which, in my case, the hinge arms are mounted. I simply dropped in two sturdy 90deg steel brackets. Anyone able to get past the lock would have encountered these, and in addition the noise against the steel door would, I hope, have been a deterrent.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Cut a hole in the garage door and pass a chain or wire rope through it from the inside. The other end is secured inside the garage. Then snap a padlock on the exposed end. Reinforcing the door where the chain comes out would help and make it neater. You would need a length of chord to pull the chain through the door as you closed it but that goes away with you when the doors down and locked.

Reply to
John

The message from "DavidKendall" contains these words:

I fitted bolts at each corner into the side timbers. If there's a gap build it out a bit. Fit metal plates behind the bolts so it's a sod to get a saw in and ideally bolt through plates at the front to stop drilling the wood out.

Failing that...

on the pic to see how it works)

get the idea - google!

Reply to