gaps between wallpaper

Hi, have hung some patterned wallpaper following the accompanying instructions - it's now dried and i have gaps between a number of the lengths. i used ready mixed paste and left for 4/5mins to soak. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Reply to
jerrypotter282

Probably the recommended soak time. What did the labile say?

You really need to let the paper sit with the paste on for the recommended time. Too short and it shrinks as it dries. Too long and you can end up with puckered joints.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Stretching it as you put it up?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Did you size the walls first?

Reply to
Bovvered?

IME, if it's vinyl faced, it will always dry "straight" so, if your walls aren't, you'll either have gaps or ridges. Paper is much more forgiving

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hi, Thanks for the replies - i soaked the paper for the recommended time (4/5 mins) - i don't think i stretched the paper but could have and no i didn't size the wall. Read somewhere on the net that the paste could have been too thinly applied - i used a roller could this be the problem?

Reply to
jerrypotter282

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Contrary to another reply I have found this to be a sign of soaking too long.

Paper will expand a little when wet and shrink as it dries, if you let it soak for too long it will grow in width (minutely) and shrink when it dries leaving a gap. After this happened to me once I now only paste one sheet in advance, ie paste one at start, wait 2 mins, past second, hang first, paste third, hang second and so on. I haven't had any problems after following this route.

I note your comment about applying too little paste, perhaps you have gone too far the other way, are applying too much and the excess moisture is causing the problem as above.

Reply to
fred