fun with damp

Hi all,

Recently, the empty house next door (I'm in a terrace, the houses are five years old, ie pretty new) has gone up for sale. One evening last week when I returned home I heard that the burglar alarm was going off - seeing no sign of forced entry, I assumed it was accident of some kind, and informed their estate agent the following morning.

However, five days later, I thought faintly heard running water. Looked through the letterbox, and the flooring in the house was flooded, about one inch deep, and water was gushing loudly down from somewhere upstairs. I found that the entire rear wall of that house was wet, the neighbouring walls are dry so I figure that the water has internally managed to seep through the walls and outside. Internally I can see dampness in the plaster going all the way up the walls. I immediately called the estate agent and informed them about this. I reckon the running water is what set the alarm off in the first place. Nasty (and pretty stupid of them for not coming out to get it sorted). The water company came out quickly and turned the mains off at the street stopcock.

So here's the question. What about my house next door ? Is it likely that five days worth of gushing mains water would damage the foundations or cause any structural harm ? It's odd that the water was not coming out from under the doors, so it must have drained away somewhere.

My wall backing onto the problem house is mostly a kitchen, but there are units against the walls (and the other parts are tiled and/or painted dark brown) which makes inspection difficult. I can see a darkened patch in the unpainted plaster behind the oven about six inches off the ground. I've no idea whether it was there before or not, or whether it is normal.

Any suggestions ?

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

It wouldn't do any structural damage in a few days or even weeks, it would have to be running for many months and even then it's unlikely to do anything...foundations are either built on clay, sand or other permanent strata, not soil...a limited amount of water won't move sand because it soaks right through it, clay is impermeable as are sandstone, rock and most other surfaces on which concrete foundations are poured...if it went on for months or even years, then there would be a slight possibility of a tiny amount of erosion.

If you can get your hand to the plaster it might feel damp...or it might just be a discolouration, there's a cavity between yours and next doors, so I wouldn't think too much water would get through.

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks. That is a relief to know.

It's very hard for me to say. I think it is damp but very very slightly; when I wipe it with a tissue, the tissue looks slightly wet (and plastery powder comes off - but the plaster itself is intact), but to my fingers it just feels cold.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

It sounds like you've got a minute amount of water penetration there, not bad considering the amount of water involved! - it was probably just tracking across a piece of debris at the base of the cavity[1]...it should disappear in a few weeks time, provided the water has stopped running next door.

[1] debris falls down to the bottom of the wall inside the cavity and can create a solid mass at the base of the wall, this is because cavities between properties are not insulated and there is nothing to stop mortar dropping to the bottom during construction
Reply to
Phil L

No structural damage to masonry by being soaked..but it plays hell with plaster, and more so with paintwork.

Notify insurance immediately that you may have a claim for damage, and wait a few weeks to see what the state is...and if there is plaster falling off, you may need a new kitchen cos you will have to remove it to get at whats behind it, and of course once removed units will be scrap won't they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I cant see any reasn to do this unless you want to increase your premiums. The wall should dry out. If theres paint staining but its behind units, so what.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Only time will tell, but as previously suggested definitely inform your insurer.

Reply to
Codswallop