Front windscreen wiper relay faulty?

Lee wrote in news:hcbuw.98403$ snipped-for-privacy@fx33.am:

Thanks for the tip. How do I do this? I have identified pins 3 & 5 on the relay that I think is the front wiper relay. Do I bridge the sockets for these pins, using a bent paper clip with one end going into pin-socket 3 and the other end in pin-socket 5? Is that the way to do it?

Phil K

Reply to
AL_n

Lee wrote in news:hcbuw.98403$ snipped-for-privacy@fx33.am:

Thanks for the tip. How do I do this? I have identified pins 3 & 5 on the relay that I think is the front wiper relay. Do I bridge the sockets for these pins, using a bent paper clip with one end going into pin-socket 3 and the other end in pin-socket 5? Is that the way to do it?

Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

Phil K wrote in news:XnsA42582FA27E01777777@130.133.4.11:

PS - just to clarify, the manual covers Nissan Almera and Nissan Almera TINO models, from 200 to 2007. My car is the TINO model, yr 2001.

Regards, Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

The circuit as such isn't terribly complicated. The way Haynes have drawn it - covering several variations - is. Still looking at it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right.

The relay appears to supply power to the wiper circuit all the time the ignition is on. So you should see 12v at what is labelled terminal 3 on it in your diagram, with the ignition on. I've no idea if the terminal markings on the actual relay correspond to the diagram ones, though.

To test that relay - again using the numbers on your diagram, connect your DVM set to continuity to pins 3 and 5. Should be no continuity. Apply 12v to pins 1&2, and the relay should make and the meter show continuity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Much appreciated. It appears the far right section of the diagram applies to my 2001 model. If the next step is to bridge two of the relay pins, to eliminate the relay, can you confirm that it's pins 3 & 5 that I should bridge? (I don't want to cause a short.)

Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

Looks to me like the front and rear wiper relays are identical. Check the part numbers and if so, just swap them over.

Reply to
Capitol

The Nissan parts catalogue for the 2001 Tino shows both front and rear wiper relays reside in the engine bay, drivers side, near the headlights. Should be black with part number: 252309F905

Reply to
Lee

Urgh, unless your car is an 1.8, in that case it's inside near the electric window relay. Why do they do that? What difference does engine size make to the positioning of relays?

Reply to
Lee

Lee wrote in news:4Rtuw.282486$ snipped-for-privacy@fx35.am:

Lee - Thats very helpful - thanks! y Tino is the 1.8 petrol model. This suggests that the relay I was identifying as the front wiper relay is correct. It is right next to the window relay. (I identified the window relay, because removing it stops the windows from working.)

So What I'd like to know is: how do I test the wiper relay? I cannot switch the blue one with the black one (for testing purposes) because one has four pins and the other has five.

Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

There should still be an identical rear wiper relay, it's not exactly obvious where it is though, have you looked in the relay bracket near the headlight? Otherwise same way, short the two contacts in the relay socket* or use a DMM on the relay switch contacts and 12v on the relay coil as someone else instructed.

A third way, is see if you can get the case of the relay, some come apart quite easily, you can then see visually whether it's working or not.

*All you are doing is shorting the same two pins that the relay does, but I understand that some may have reservations about doing that.
Reply to
Lee

Does this make any sense to anyone:

It looks like the rear one should be there, even if the front one is in the internal relay bracket?

Reply to
Lee

Actually, that's exactly what you want to do, cause a short (but _not_ in the _wrong_ place). :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good