From uk.tech.broadcast

Seems a good idea which could be implemented for pennies.

From: Dave Farrance Subject: Petition: Attach Warning Labels to Analogue-Only TVs Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:10 Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast

I think that the idea of attaching warning labels to analogue-only units has a fair amount of approval in this group, unlike the prospect of outlawing such units. So if you want to show support for this, please go to this e-petition to the Prime Minister:

the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Attach warning labels to analogue-only (non-digital) TVs and video recorders.

Analogue TV broadcasts will cease over the next few years, so that all analogue-only TVs and video recorders will require external digital "set-top-boxes". Many people, especially the elderly, find set-top-boxes difficult to use, and the complexity of video recording from a set-top-box will often defeat the technically competent too. Analogue-only equipment is still widely available and is commonly bought by people without knowledge of these problems. Warning labels on such units stating "WARNING: ANALOGUE TUNER ONLY" would alert people to the problem and discourage their sale. This would save vulnerable people from losing money, protect the environment by reducing the vast amount of equipment that will be dumped, and reduce the resources required to aid the conversion to digital reception.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Excellent idea & I shall sign, although TBH I've come to the conclusion that these petitions are a waste of time. With one exception (*), all the responses I've received have been along the lines of "We know best and we're not changing our minds just because you little people disagree. Run along and play, now."

(* The proposed ban on the importation and sale of "samurai" swords.)

Reply to
Huge

Condensing vs. non condensing tellies........

Reply to
Andy Hall

And why not? Personally, I couldn't give a toss what happens in 2012, by which time the wallpaper will probably make more interesting viewing.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

":Jerry:" wrote in news:469208ef$0$97270 $ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

You may not have noticed that DTT is unobtainable in large ares, and even here just outside the M25 it's very iffy, specially MUX A, but all are subject to break-up. Thats using a GDB4 which AIUI is one of the most sensitive boxes.

Analogue deteriorates more gracefully, and is far more acceptable; with an aerial aimed at CP and another at Sudbury I can get most things most of the time on analogue.

If I had to buy a new telly of course it would be dual standard, but if I were forced to buy one tuner only it would have to be analogue.

Or, if you insist on banning analogue tellies, will you give me an analogue STB so I can get some programmes till 2012 for my licence fee.

mike

Reply to
mike

Perhaps I shopuld have said *anolouge only* sets, obviously all sets until 2012 will have to be duel tuner.

Except DVB only channels! :~)

A bit pointless (and head in sand) in any area were the analogue signal will be terminated before the set is life expired, of course if you have no need for a terrestrial signal at all it doesn't matter a jot.

Reply to
:Jerry:

er and what about the vast areas on country that have little or no DTTV coverage? I live on a hill and according to the freeview site I should be able to get BBC 1, 2, 3, CBBC and News 24, that's all. Down in the town a couple of miles away they SFA.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Let them use satellite or a self help relay.!

Reply to
tony sayer

Read my reply to "Mike".

Reply to
:Jerry:

Snag is analogue is still the only choice for terrestrial reception in some areas - and will be until the switch over in about 5 years time. So I'm certainly not in favour of banning their sale.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

See my reply to "Mike".

I must admit that I thought that all but drivel would have realised that I was talking about duel tuners - are there any DVB only receivers (STB's excepted...!)? Personally I can't even see the point or need for TV's to be anything more than audio equipped monitors these days, so many people now have external receivers, either Dsat or DVB, with some even having twin tuners IYSWIM.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Analogue and DTT, DVB-S, or DVB-C?

So why ban the sale of a analogue only set then?

Reply to
John Rumm

Nor am I - it would be yet another example of the nanny state.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

":Jerry:" wrote in news:4692186e$0$97264 $ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Ain't that the truth; that's why I've got a DTT and have experienced it's benefits

Then of course, as you said, _you_ "shopuld have said *anolouge only* sets, obviously all sets until 2012 will have to be duel tuner."

Why, if your DTT is good enough?

I see the original petition did indeed state "analogue-only", so we're both getting a bit off the point

mike

Reply to
mike

Is wallpaper not already more interesting than TV?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Even lining paper

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I once had an experience of a condensing TV. Something that was stored in a slightly damp unheated cupboard, and summoned to life in a hurry without thinking about the wisdom of letting it acclimatise to room temperature.

The condensation didn't hang around though ....

... after the flames had died down ;-(

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C saying something like:

You should have taken a hacksaw to it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon