Foot protection that doesn't cook my feet - ideas?

Does anyone have any suggestions for boots that will protect my feet when strimming etc. but won't make my feet unreasonably hot? I don't really need steel toes or bottom (though I've nothing against it) as it's only for strimming and thus just needs to protect my feet and calves against flying pebbles and such.

Currently I use an old pair of motorcycle boots which are OK, better than wellies for not getting too hot (and probably better protection too) but it really would be nice to find something cooler still.

Reply to
tinnews

My choice Rig (or Rigger) Boots. Look on Screwfix. VAT free as well.

Reply to
Vortex7

Seconded. I use rigger boots in the garden. I took a chunk out of one with the mower - went right through to the steel toecap.

They are loose fitting so there is ventilation, or you can tuck in your jeans. They are incredibly easy to get on and off. Bets choice by a long way.

Reply to
Bruce

Thus spake Bruce ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

You could always stave off hot-footedness misery by storing your boots in the freezer prior to use on a hot day. SWMBO might not be too pleased though :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Can you two be more specific?: there are dozens of different riggers even at Screwfix: from a few quid to many...

Spamlet

Screwfix appears to stock only one type of rigger boot. I didn't know there was more than one type; all the rigger boots I have seen, bought or used over the last 35 years have all looked exactly the same, even down to the colour:

came from Lidl. I realised they wouldn't be in stock for long, so I bought two pairs. They are as good as any brand I have ever bought.

Reply to
Bruce

Would you still recommend the "normal" advice given when buying steel toe capped shoes etc of buying a size larger than your normal shoe size?

Reply to
John Rumm

I recommend anyone to try before they buy. Alternatively, buy from a supplier who will exchange them or give a refund if they don't fit.

I have never bought a rigger boot that is any bigger than my normal shoe size. There has always been enough room for a pair of sea boot socks over normal socks in winter. I assume that is because rigger boots are made slightly oversize ... but always try before you buy!

Another regular purchase of mine was Dunlop wellingtons with steel toe caps and steel sole plate. I used to buy those a size *smaller* than my normal shoes because they had allowed far too much room ... but always try before you buy!

Reply to
Bruce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk saying something like:

Might help in killing the smell bacteria.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Seconded. I use riggers around horses in muddy fields. They have the downside that they pull off if you get bogged down, but I guess that is a design feature. If you are on a construction site and get stuck in front of a moving vehicle you want to get clear, and don't worry about muddy socks!

Reply to
newshound

Exactly right. The only time I broke a bone on a construction site was when I was wearing wellies. I got stuck in some sticky mud, lost my balance trying to extricate myself and Crack! ... the ankle went. Fortunately it wasn't a bad break and I was soon back at work. But from then on, I wore rigger boots.

Reply to
Bruce

Very handy in mucky weather, easy to get off so you don't tread crap over clients carpets.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman