Follow up on "Help with TV Please"

I have managed to fix the faulty Sony Bravia 40" TV I bought on Ebay for =A350 (still sold for about =A3500)

The fault was the ribbon cable between the LVDS (Tcon) board and the LCD itself.

The replacement cost me =A32.

Its amazing that a TV is thrown out these days for the sake of a =A32 cable.

The official repair would have been the replacement of the whole LCD assembly (including the Tcon board and the cable) at a cost probably close to a new TV.

It has provided me with several hours of fun during the cold weather stripping it down and learning about how these LCD TVs work. Even more fun finding where all the screws and plugs go in re-assembling it.

Take care if you try this as there are some lethal voltages driving the backlight tubes.

Thanks to all those who responded to my original post.

Reply to
chudford

on 10/12/2010, chudford supposed :

It is not the cost of the parts, but the cost of the skill to diagnose and repair it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember chudford saying something like:

Damn. You know, after pissing around with LCD displays to make a projector in the past couple of years, I should have sussed that one, as it happened to me.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon