flushing CH system with lots of inverted loops

Hi all

Some of my downstairs radiators seem to have sludge build-up as they are cooler at the bottom and middle than the top and ends. Having read previous posts, I am planning on trying a chemical sludge remover first, and if that does not give good enough results I will try flushing the radiators with a hose in the garden.

The instructions for the sludge removing products say to drain and flush the system after the chemical has been used. The trouble is that there are lots of inverted loops in my system. There are eight radiators downstairs, each fed by pipes dropping down from the first floor. Does this mean I need to drain each of the eight inverted loops individually? Or is possible to drain/flush the system by opening just one drain-c*ck downstairs while running the pump and letting clean water enter the system via the header tank?

Each of the radiators downstairs has a drain-c*ck built into the radiator valve. Is this drain-c*ck for draining the radiator or for draining the pipework? With the radiator valves open, the water must be coming from both the rads and the pipework. With the radiator valves shut, if I open the drain-c*ck is the water coming just from the radiator or just from the pipework?

I have been looking at the Fernox products. The description of the F3 cleaner

is identical to the description of the Heavy Duty Central Heating Restorer
,does anyone know the difference between these two products?

thanks

Julian

Reply to
noos999