Flushing central heating system

Now that I have the payment for the replacement Fernox in my central heating system any words of wisdom would be appreciated before I start the job.

Is Fernox MB-1 a sensible choice?

I intend draining down and doing some sort of flush and have thought of back flushing the system with mains water. I have found three drain points, one by the boiler and another at each end of the house.

Are flushing additives worth considering?

It's an open vented system with header tank in the loft from a Mexico HE36 condensing boiler feeding 10 double panel and 5 single radiators, 3 large towel rails and 1 kickspace heater.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Yes or Sentinal X100.

How dirty is your CH system? I removed a rad the other day from a 10 year old system and the water in it was just a little yellow. IMHO no special flushing additive was needed. I just emptied all the old water, refilled and drained again before refilling and adding X100.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's interesting, a lot cheaper than Fernox MB-1!

My concern is the bits that were released from the breakdown of the flexible hoses to the kickspace heater. I have am not experiencing any problems though.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I presume that you have not seen

it did take a while to drag you from the other DIY newsgroup:-)

Plastic/rubber bits and not "sludge"? If so then a freshwater flush should do the trick. The additives are for removing sludge.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was here some years ago, then didn't get around to re joining after a computer crash, decided to check back in to see what is going on when other place became rather quiet. Its a lot less argumentative than certain other newsgroups...

Ok, just wondered whether there was any value in using a flush additive to maintain the system whilst I have the opportunity, particularly as someone else is paying for the fresh inhibitor. We have lived here 6 years now during which time we have had 9 of the rads and the boiler replaced. I have no idea how well the rest of the system was treated prior to that and would like to do all I can to prevent future problems.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I'm a professional powerflusher and offer the following advice.

Fit a filter or two on the return pipe to your boiler before you do anything.

All the best

Ian Pritchard

ian

In message , ian writes

Now that's how CH fitters should post

welcome

Reply to
geoff

Thanks for the advice Ian. I like the idea of these filters and wish I had known about them when the new boiler was installed. With the boiler alone costing £2000 to replace I am keen to look after it.

Do the filters have to go next to the boiler or can they go on the feed and return pipes several meters away? I ask because the boiler is installed with the pipes coming up through the floor directly into it. Very neat, but nowhere to fit a filter.

Could I actually make matters worse by my mains flushing forcing crap into the heat exchanger?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike