Floor Tile Qs

Hi all

How easy are ceramic floor tiles to cut compared to wall tiles? Are they likely to crack if properly laid on a concrete floor? Are there differing qualities of ceramic tiles - the only ones er indoors likes are from Homobase and I've never really rated their stuff. Presumably it is better to lay tiles before fitting architraves and skirting? What to do at rad pipes - is it a case of having a purpose made "break" in the tile across the pipe hole?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I used some porcelain ones from them and they're fine. Generally Homebase stuff is of good quality but not such good value as others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TheScullster wibbled on Monday 30 November 2009 15:41

No different. Score n snap worked like a dream on mine (which were smooth grazed ceramic) and a wet cutter went through like butter.

Not at all unless you really c*ck up the adhesive - eg leave large voids. I tried hard to bed mine 100% but even if bedded 80+% you'd be fairly unlucky to crack it.

I got mine from WallsAndFloors.co.uk - predictable delivery (2-3 days typically). Yes, quality varies. But you can order samples of many tiles from the above place for very little money - I would certainly advise giving the prospective tile a good look over. It usually becomes apparent if it's a decent make or a rubbish one.

I would if you have the opportunity.

2 options that I know of:

a) Tile holesaw in the pipe position then 2 straight cuts to remove the piece whole, and then replace it behind the pipe whilst laying.

b) 2 straight cuts, manual score across the end and snap out a rectangle. Fiddle with file/wet cutter/hand tile saw until you get a round fit. Or simplfy and do a square fit round the pipe. Probably will be OK round a small 15mm pipe. Bigger pipes woul dlook a bit naff if you didn't do a rounded cut.

Reply to
Tim W

Make sure that the surface you are laying them onto is absolutley solid with no movement - otherwise the grout will crack.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk wibbled on Tuesday 01 December 2009 13:42

Or, if you are laying on a flexible substrate such as plywood, use flexible adhesive (Class S2 is I think the best) and a flexible grout - or - the manufacturer's additive products (IME latex liquid instead of water) to achieve the same.

Reply to
Tim W