Fixings for a plasteboard wall

Hi all,

I have to fix a rather heav mirror, up to about 15kg, onto a plasterboard wall.

I started by using a Hollow Wall Anchor, and one has worked successfully, however the second didn't grip and started to rip into the plasterboard and is not secure.

I think this has happened though as I have found that the plasterboard is around an inch thick (so I'm guessing it's been doubled up?).

With this in mind, what would be the best way to secure this mirror to the wall? Would a Redidrive Anchor work? Can these hold up to 15kg of weight?

And then on making the wall good again, any tips on removing Hollow Wall Anchors and making the walls right again?

Reply to
simonjamesjudd

Key information omitted: is this a stud partition wall - ie, typically an internal wall built from timber with plasterboard attached on either side, or is it a drylined wall - ie, typically a solid brick or block wall to which sheets of plasterboard have been attached directly (usually with a gap of around .25" between the two)?

David

Reply to
Lobster

You can't hang a 15kg load on a plasterboard wall. The plasterboard won't take the load no matter what the fixing method.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I glued mine on.

Other than that, what you need to realise that with plasterboard, all walls are temporary. This is a blessing and a curse.

so take a bit of that one down, put up a few noggins, and re erect the plasterboard. Skim it too,and if your skimming is crap, sand it as well.

Then paint it again.

To make good all you need is anything to stop the paster falling through

- balled up newspapers, dead cats..whatever - stuffed into the holes and then put on bonding plaster. When its dry, sand down, put on a skim coat abd sand again. Piece of cake.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh you CAN ..over enough fixings..but I wouldn't WANT to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi Simon,

I've been pondering a similar problem involving a (rather heavier) radiator. If the wall in question is drylined (ie has brick or blocks behind the plasterboard) you might find this thread helpful:

(or check your nntp server for a thread called "Fixing radiator to wall").

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath