Fitting whirlpool baths - Is it much more difficult?

Hi Folks,

I've fitted two baths before, but I'd like to get one of these whirlpool baths now.

Is it a big deal to fit one? Whats involved (you can't see underneath most of them when in the shops)? And extra things I need to buy?

And regarding electrics, my house has a global RCD, Does this mean I don't need an RCD for the whirlpool connection? And can I take the power for the whirlpool bath as a spur from a ring socket?

Thanks Again, Colin.

Reply to
Colin Docherty

It shouldn't be a big deal. I fitted one recently - however it's the first bath I've ever fitted, so no idea about the differences!

It sits on 4 feet which are adjustable, but I'd also secured it into a wooden frame under the bath.

I had a spur of the upstairs mains going into a wall mounted fan heater in the bathroom - I took that out, but kept the cable and diverted it to a faceplate on the wall next to the bath - I then replaced the fused switchbox next to a double socket outside the bathroom (where the spur originated) by a fused RCD unit.

It's a fantastic bath btw. It'll pay for itself in terms of bubble-bath required in about ....

Seriously, start with ONE CAPFULL of bubble bath and work up or down from there.. Don't just pour 1/4 a bottle under the taps as we used to do...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Should be OK, but don't forget that this now comes under part P (Google if you are not up to speed)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Depends on the rating of the whole-house RCD. If it's 30mA sensitivity, it's OK (though not best practice to have all the lights go out when some other circuit causes the RCD to trip). But if it's a 100mA sensitivity trip - as needed for a TT installation, typical with a rural overhead supply - it's not nearly sensitive enough to provide the required protection against shock, and you'd need a 30mA RCD for the circuit the whirlpool feeds from.

Reply to
Stefek Zaba