Electronic water softeners e.g. Vulcan 3000 - how effective? (2023 Update)

replying to RayL12, Chrisp wrote: ...and the presence of plastic microparticles in the packaging is really bad for you! And if course the problems of water bottle waste disposal. Ban plastic bottled water!

Reply to
Chrisp

It won't be salt, will it. It'll be sodium carbonate.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Deja View all over again? Electronic ones merely clump the particles together they remove nothing, the net effect is a tendency to narrow the pipe. Snake oil. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's the sodium that matters, not the chloride. And that will be in the form of sodium ions.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

replying to David, Scott wrote: Hi Dave I looked into the Vulcan and after much research and deliberation ended up getting one This system is not the magnetic type you are describing, it uses capacitive pulses and it?s not your cheap rubbish but the damn thing works. They do systems for industry too and lots of legitimate references Check out their website cwtpartners.co.uk

Reply to
Scott

replying to Eusebius, Scott wrote: The furring is caused by calcium deposits But if you are referring to the furring at the point of installation of a cheap magnetic coil system then these is a build up of iron deposits and can lead to a build up of bacteria, viruses, sludge and slime - not healthy water

Reply to
Scott

replying to MrCheerful, Scott wrote: Is it eco-friendly and what are the year on year running costs, maintenance etc

Reply to
Scott

well worn scam.

Reply to
tabbypurr

WTF are capacitive pulses? Sounds like pure scam-speak!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Expensive *rubbish* then. Weird that you choose to resurrect a thread from 2016 to try and flog this junk in a DIY group.

Oh I see you have tacked an advert for this unmitigated crap on all the old threads asking about water softening scam devices.

Yeah right. WTF is a capacitive pulse when it is at home if not pure marketing bollocks to confuse the unwary.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ca(HCO?)? + vulcan => CaCo? + CO? + H?O

Wonder where it gets the Cobalt ions from?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The principal is slightly effective in making some of the stuff clump together, but people have shown me the state of the pipe where its been fitted almost completely blocked by gunk. I mean there is no way such a simple device can remove anything and therefore it has to end up somewhere, so its probably effective for a while till the grot builds up then flakes of it start to detach and gum up the works further on. Its a typical snake oil idea, ie a quick demonstratable fix that will be of limited use long term but by then the money has been pent.

The bottom line is you need to ask anything that looks too good to be true, fine but where does the stuff it takes out actually go then? That is when they start to babble rubbish. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That will be the bit where the boundary layer of the pipe is used like a grid in a CRT then...! No I've actually seen that far from really removing stuff they tend to just charge it up so it clumps together and bungs up the works.

As I say in an earlier post you have to ask yourself where all this arrested stuff goes and how it gets taken away. it does not of course and can be fare worse than leaving it in small dissolved bits in the first place. Maybe he is feeling the pinch since people are onto his big drawback. On the other hand maybe he simply believes in it he cannot see the folly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Might have been difficult for you to read but in their chemical formula they'd buggered up carbonate CO3 (capital O) as cobalt Co3 (small o).

Maybe tricobalt is more efficient than dilithium crystals? Not that I ever remember the Enterprise breaking down with furred-up plumbing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was motivated to search some of the old posts that had appeared in uk.d-i-y over the years. Magnetic water conditioner brings up some storming fun, especially the blather that poured out of "adam" lol

Reply to
Cynic

That might be The Trouble With Tribbles.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Worked the first day I used Eddy. Our water was super hard verified by the water company that tested it. There's a big difference in the wash especially the jeans. They used to come out stiff and wrinkled and now they are so soft and wrinkle free. Our utensils are so much shinier. No scum. My hair feels a lot better too. Of course, we have to clean off the old scum on everything, it won't remove the stuff that's already there. If you don't see a difference, check your installation. You have to make sure everything is spaced correctly and the wires are all wrapped in the same direction.

Reply to
save our h2o

So, are you Edward B. Goehring or Natalie Bridges?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The problem as has been mentioned here before, is that it does not remove the limescale. What they tend to do is make them clump together in larger lumps and fall into the bottom of the pipe. I can only guess what might happen in a few years. Think about it, most use a chemical action to bind to and remove the stuff, this uses a magnetic and electrostatic filled to stick the bits together? You end up with what happens to magnets or high voltage sources. The magnets get ferrous metal debris stuck to them and the old crt screens gathered dust like well a magnet, except that its electrostatic not magnetism.

Where else can it really go but somewhere in the plumbing? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'm surprised Russ Andrews does not sell them, with oxygen free wire of course, and don't forget the gold plated copper pipe. Seriously, they only work for a short time because the clump the limescale together near the field. its just building up somewhere else, that is all, it has to be as its got nowhere else to go!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa