Electrically wiring garden water features

I know that the new rules stipulate that any outside wiring should be entrusted to the 'experts' (!) Can anyone explain, however, what is required in relation to wiring up a water feature pump in the garden?

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Not true. Even work that comes under Part P does not have a DIY restriction. You are permitted to DIY any domestic fixed electric installation. However, you are not exempt from the building regulations. To remain legal, the work has to comply with the wiring regulations and building control must be informed, paid and should inspect the work.

There are many possibilities. However, if there is no existing installation of electrics in the garden, I suspect an RCD fused spur and some 2.5mm SWA will come into it, although if your house sockets are RCD protected, a new circuit allowing totally independent RCD usage may be indicated.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi

installation

Much easier to use a low voltage pump. Huge range available in 12 volt for all sorts of water features/fountains or both.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Sadly not for a UV filter though...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Presumably all that's required is a suitable ballast designed for 12V operation, which doesn't sound like it would be a very difficult problem to solve?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well, I have a UV/biological filter which I've intended to install for a little while. I have an existing 12V pump/fountain, but have just got to get around to laying a SWA cable to a suitable location where I might replace the pump with a mains thingie and add the UV.

It's only four or five yards of armoured cable to lay in the garden, an RCD spur from the shed and a suitable weatherproof switch/isolator to feed the pump/filter arrangement.

I have no qualms about installing this myself. As the owner/user of the installation I'm more concerned about its reliabilty/safety than a "professional" electrician would be, with his prime concern being making a quick buck.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

try

they should be able to supply you with the right electronic ballast @ 12 v input to use a uv filter on

Reply to
dale hammond

I guess nobody can !!!!!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Come on then, give us a clue... mains or 12v?

If 12V is the transformer suited to external mounting?

How far is the pump to be sited from power?

Reply to
John Rumm