East European CRAP bulbs

Brimsdown is Enfield, Middlesex. Lived there from 1957-1984. Neighbour worked at the AEI factory. View of the power station from my bedroom window (largest in the country when built circa 1906); two little chimneys, two medium chimneys, two big chimneys, and a lot of cooling towers. Fun to watch them blown up sometime in 1970's

Reply to
DJC

"Mazda" was also a brand name for some really rubbish Romanian lightbulbs in the '70s and '80s.

I've no idea why (some lost Zoroastrians colonised Bucharest?) but Caecescu-era Romania seemed awfully keen on the association between Ahura Mazda and electricity. Every power station or hydro dam seemed to have an inspirational stainless steel statue atop it (I've seen a ridiculous number of Romanian power stations - like Alexei Sayle, I grew up fat, Scouse, and being dragged around the achievements of the Eastern European proleteriat).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You mean she took the bulbs with her? I take it she was Yorkshire bred then! ;-)

Reply to
SimonJ

Just a few years ago the BBC showed one of those documentaries you see once and never see again, about a light bulb manufacturer in the former Soviet Union finding it difficult to adapt to the privatisation regime that was in vogue at the time. Quite interesting factory shots, very old equipment, turning out lamps that you could tell were on but not much more.

Unfortunately I can't remember the brand name of the lamps. Any better memories out there?

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

In article , Jim Gregory writes

Like this one?

Mike Tomlinson

I remember a local factory (known as cosmos) producing TV valves in the 60s and 70s. Valves were mainly Brimar and mazda (and probably others). A friend worked for them in their 'quality control' department. He had to convert rejects into saleable products, mainly by overrunning the filaments. Due to his experience at work, he would recommend Philips valves, or Mullard, until he had the job of removing the Brimar label, and substituting Philips, on some of the (sub standard) output of his factory.

Reply to
<me9

That's fine, but how much did the low-loader cost with which to transport the shed to where the concrete happens to be?

MM

Reply to
MM

Isn't it to do with the fact we are usually on 240v here and the europiean bulbs were built for 220v

or is that a load of rubbish!?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

About 5 years ago we went through a box of bulbs that were marked "230V". I suspect that someone, somewhere, had mistakenly thought that the UK had actually harmonised down to 230V nominal.

In the same (mistaken?) vein, the majority of RS transformers now seem to be 115/230V primaries.

Reply to
Tony Williams

We have - it's important to understand what "nominal" means.

As transformer operation isn't quite as temperature-critical as a tungsten filament I don't suppose that will cause too many problems.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In context: "Insignificantly small; trifling: a nominal sum". Is 230/240 ~ 4% "nominal"?

Pro rata, 4% off a life of 80 years is about 3 years? Ok by you? How would you like a 4% drop in the interest on your savings account?

My guess is though, that lamp life, (and transformers) are not linear in this way. If they are not, it is an excellent way of popping light bulbs way before their time and making £££.

Reply to
dave

Running a "230V" bulb at 240V almost halves the life.

Reply to
Tony Williams

And when you get to the top end of our spec 230v +10% = 254v ! This equals very short life for 230v rated equipment. Our factory mains is at this level and causes us a nightmare. Our tapping from the 11kv transformer is allready at its lowest setting!

Reply to
Tim Morley

What you want is a nice big fat load to pull the volts down, light bulbs will last alot longer then! :-)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)