Easiest way to remove (compressed) olive from copper pipe?

...hopefully without damaging the pipe itself.

Hacksaw?

Reply to
p.thorn

.

Pretty much. Saw as close to right angles as you can, so you make a slot along the olive. (junior hacksaw may be easier) Now, before you hit the pipe, put in a largish screwdriver, and force the olive open.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Oive remover, Screwfix do one.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is it Christmas already?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Any time I have had to do this it's a case of using a junior hacksaw being carefull not to saw the pipe itself then prise the cut open using a suitable screwdriver .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Oyl?

Reply to
Guy King

LOL, good spot that I missed it first time round!

John

Reply to
John

Slide a steel drift up the pipe. Using this as an anvil, work round the olive tapping it lightly with a small hammer. That expands the olive and it falls off ready for re-use.

John

Reply to
John

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com was thinking very hard :

Junior hacksaw, then a screw driver to split it the last bit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just so, or a fine flat file in confined spaces.

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

If you can get access to the upstream part of the tube. Run a loose compression nut of the right size down the pipe and tap the nut from behind with a hammer in the direction you want the olive to go.

Problem with hacksaw way is that the slightest nick on the pipe and you could get a leak.

Reply to
Bookworm

Get a spanner that just fits over the pipe and use it as a slide hammer on the nut that goes over the olive.

Reply to
EricP

Yes I agree with that.

Reply to
Bookworm

Get a spanner that just fits over the pipe and use it as a slide

hammer on the nut that goes over the olive.

Or an adjustable spanner, slightly heavier for the tapping action.Alway worked for me. Wouldn't trust myself with a hacksaw

-- Alec

Reply to
Alec

Doesn't seem to have worked. You're still here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How is Aberdeen? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More senile ramblings. Sad we all know. They should make sure they go to the drop-in centre most of the time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel