Drilling holes in slate and granite

good thing you write under a nom-de-plume :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

A pleasure sir. Doubt is like a pair of lead slippers, which we all occasionally find ourselves wearing. I had them on while tiling my 'undulating" walls.

"Stop smoking the weed, get a BIG cup of coffee gird thy loins, get some battens and a straight edge, and get plastering" was your advice to my cry for help. To the point, without being derogatory, it was this challenge that got my arse in gear.

I hope I have returned that feeling of confidence in you?

As it happens, today, I again used my diamond tile bit with great success and satisfaction. I used porcelain tiles on the floor in my new downstairs shower-room and they are extremely hard. I needed to drill 4 holes in them for securing the toilet pan. After trying a masonry bit first (not even a pinhole did this produce), I turned to my trusty diamond bit and (after holding the bit at 45=B0 to the tile surface, to make diamond contact porcelain, and start the cut) I had 4 perfect holes in about 8 mins.

I'm not (knowingly) familiar with quartzite, but if it's anything like porcelain, you'll breeze through it and your newly purchased bit will be lovingly stored in a prized place, within your 'tiling' toolkit.

:) deano.

Reply to
deano

Quartzite is somewhat between marble and limestone..in general feel. Nothing like as tough as granite, but more resistant to acid attack then calcium carbonate stones. Apparently its metamorphosed sandstone - i.e. a silicate.

Granite is silica alumina and potassium and sodium oxides..all good stable stuff, and all pretty hard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher