Drill all drills

This is true BTDTGTTS. They are however brilliant on normal tiles. You can apply pressure (drill off) until you hear a 'crunch' noise and the sharp point penetrates the glaze, then carry on. No slipping at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can use HSS drills on normal tiles too. Make a center by using a tile scribe - or even a center punch used with care. And a slow drill speed with steady pressure. I'm not too keen on those multi-purpose drills as they do nothing well. But realise they can be handy if carrying everything with you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for posting that Fred, interesting read. I'd been looking around but didn't realise they were called shot towers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm pretty much sold on them for that reason. Going back down 4 flights of stairs to get another drill bit is a PITA!

TMH's first law of stairs; the more flights up you are, the more often you need to go back to the van.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One way round that, is to obtain some high carbon steel bushes with the right size hole in the middle and a bush holder to clamp to the job, even it it means drilling another hole to attach it. The closer the drill bit is to the clamp, the better. It helps to prevent any circular rotation of the bush holder.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I had no intention of buying them thanks :-) I was just curious to know a bit more about them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That was one point I could not understand. I always thought that liquid nitrogen was the coldest, easily available thing to use.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi Dave,

I also saw those adverts on IdealWorld and was very impressed. I had some s tainless steel sheet that I needed to drill and as my regular HSS drills we re unable to cut the material I thought that that these "drillallbits" woul d be the answer. I missed the IdealWorld deal and so I decided to go direct to the company

and payed the hefty £49.50 fo r the set featured on the TV channel. They arrived promptly however they we re also completely unable to cut the stainless steel (or some concrete that I also needed to drill) These drills appear to be simply UNABLE to cut th e material - on trying them on some mild steel sheet, they burned their wa y way through. They bits themselves are immensely strong and don't bend wh en you apply force in an attempt to make your hole but sadly they are USELE SS at cutting holes - which is after all why one buys them. In the end I r esorted to a DeWalt drill bit (one of a small but much less expensive set D T5940) which cut the stainless steel sheet without any problem. The company (Triple x Trading Ltd.) does not answer emails and I had to use the PayPal disputes process to obtain a refund. Note that it costs £6.50 to post t hem back which is not refunded. In short, the product does NOT do what the adverts (TV and website) say it will do so save yourself time, money and s tress by avoiding this company and its products.

ilihwles

I've never paid return postage costs after entering a dispute with Paypal where the goods weren't as described. Although I've only done this a few times in all the years I've used it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

tainless steel sheet without any problem. The company (Triple x Trading Ltd.) does not answer emails and I had to use the PayPal disputes process to obtain a refund. Note that it costs £6.50 to post them back which is not refunded. In short, the product does NOT do what the adverts (TV and website) say it will do so save yourself time, money and stress by avoiding this company and its products.

The problem is the method you are using,Any ordinary HSS drills (cobalt better) are capable of drilling mild steel or ordinary stainless. Hand electric drilling should be at slowish speed and with as much pressure that you can exert without breaking the drill(takes a bit of practice) Your problem is probably not enough pressure.

Reply to
F Murtz

I have seen moulds to make musket balls. Two halves in a pair of "tongs". Looked like they were intended for use on the (battle?) field after you'd raided the local church roof.

Reply to
harry

I think the "long drop in air" method is for smaller shot than musket balls:

Alan Braggins