Draining down a sealed unvented direct cylinder

I have an unvented hot water system (all electric home with storage heaters for central heating)

The hot water cylinder is a Kingspan Range Tribune TD180 with two immersion heaters. The lower heater (off peak) has failed. I have replaced a few top mounted heaters in the past (I'm a sparks) but never on a sealed system.

It looks like I can isolate the cylinder from the rest of the cold water system. Is it enough to close this valve then open the drain c*ck to drain the cylinder. Then change the immersion heater, re-fill the cylinder and open a couple of hot taps to vent any air.

A couple of pictures of the system can be seen here:

help would be appreciated

Martyn

Reply to
Count de Monet

You are correct. Shut off the supply to the cylinder and drain down, fit the new immersion heater and refill with a hot tap open at the same time until water comes out air free.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Remember it wont drain unless air can get in, so open a hot (or cold!) tap as well..

Or indeed, flush a loo..

I turned off the mains, and set to work on the hot system, opened hot tap. some came out. Then flushed a loo downstairs, and flooded the bathroom! Once the mains side could suck air in, down came all the water from the loft mounted tank!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher