Drain covers in gravel drive

We're having our driveway gravelled (standard hardcore + 15-20mm gravel method). There are two drain covers, standard rectangular shape/size. Our builder isn't sure how to handle this. They could be left to stand proud of/level with the surface of the gravel, but I suspect they would look better covered. If the latter, what is the best approach? If we just use the same or similar covers but lowered, the gravel will probably move off their flat, smooth surface too easily. He suggested a screed tray with some sort of material in it to provide grip for the gravel above. Does this sounds reasonable? Is there any 'best practice' for this? Any experiences to share?

Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Haylett

His suggestion of using trays is probably the best option, there is, however, quite a lot of work in dropping the level of the manhole to take the inset tray. He'll need 2 or 3 inches of compacted grit in the bottom of each before adding any MOT, to allow free drainage.

Also, you may not be able to find them at a later date unless you draw out a plan now of where they lie in relation to each other and also the house, boundaries etc - and put it somewhere safe!

Reply to
Phil L

If you have a rough idea of location, you can find them easily enough with a cheapo metal detector - assuming they are metal of course.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

If you've lost a drain cover. a cheap DIY pipe/cable/stud finder, taped to the end of a stick, works well. I used mine to find one of my neighbour's, which was buried among a load of brambles and nettles.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Exactly how I found one of mine under a couple of inches of gravel.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I buried one under gravel once, by lowering it a bit. It did not get exposed again. (I was unlikely to want to get to it ever again anyway, since it was access to a large surface water drain pipe (1m diameter) that run under mine and several adjacent front gardens). Every property seemed to have a manhole access to it, even though it was nowhere near where any pipes connected to it. I just lowered the original cover.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Andrew Haylett writes

If the levels work out, how about gluing[1] some of the gravel (well washed) to the top of your existing metal covers. I'm not suggesting this as the final finished layer as I don't think it would stand up to traffic abuse but just as a key to stop a further thin layer of gravel from sliding off.

[1} I'm thinking of one of the outdoor rated sticks like variants, perhaps one of the Siroflex MS products, generously applied.
Reply to
fred

Others have suggested ways of resolving your problem, but you haven't said if you intend to drive a vehicle over the driveway once its been 'gravelled'.

If it's your intention to drive a car etc up that drive, then be aware that you will need something a bit stronger than the usual standard light-duty manhole cover to take the weight - especially if its to be 'buried' under the gravel.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Yes, both covers will potentially have to bear vehicle weight. The builder is aware of that - pointed out that one of the existing covers is a bit lightweight (has stood up to an MPV for the last 8 years though).

Reply to
Andrew Haylett

I kept losing my outside stopcock, so banged in an earthing rod and painted the top yellow.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon