Door entry systems

I'm trying to source a remote door entry system for a "retirement" flat. I think the first question is: "Are these systems physically secure ? - can they be "kicked" open, are they only suitable for use during daylight hours and should a second locking system be applied at night or when the proprety is empty"

The wish list includes Accomodate a mortise lock (or does this solution invalidate the insurance requirements of a lock to BS????). Voice communication and lock release by "radio" - limited mobility so I'm trying to get a solution that would avoid installation of fixed points in kitchen, bedroom and living room. (security issue here?)

Can anyone provide any links to web sites "reputable" suppliers? - google searches return lots of hits but they are either commercial systems or sites that do not publish a business address

Reply to
Peter K

Can't give you much positive help, but a close relative lives in a 3 floor block of 18 (approx. 20 year old) flats "protected" by a remote controlled + key entry system. It's very inconvenient to able bodied people, and probably more so to the inmates suffering varying degrees of clumsiness, disability etc.

The lock system is a standard key operated night latch operating into an electrically controlled & releasable striking plate. Electrical operation is controlled by an external keypad responding to an "ADMIN" code, or by the inmates releasing the striking plate in response to a visitor pressing the correct button, and being admitted by the inmate after using the intercom to assess the validity of the entry. (There's currently no CCTV cover.) The night latch is sited on a hinged door, opening outwards (for fire safety & emergency exit reasons, I assume), and this door is fairly strongly spring loaded* so as to close; and when necessary, against a strong breeze. (*Not electrically released in an emergency, as far as I know, but see below.)

So what's awkward about the arrangement? When returning from shopping, with hands carrying bags etc. it is most difficult for even able bodied folks to put key into lock, and then pull against a strong spring to open the door, remove key, and continue indoors. I nearly always have to put the shopping down - I don't have to do this at home where my mortise lock & night latch protected front door opens inwards, and if necessary I can assist its opening with the shopping, a knee or foot. It's even worse if trying to use a shopping trolley or zimmer frame - a typical item used by the average inmate.

Is the system secure? The postman, milkman, and many others with regular need of access are privy to the "ADMIN" entry code, which isn't released to others - and there don't appear to have been many invasions of the flats' privacy. Despite the inmates having warnings posted in the entrance halls about intruders, they're very trusting, and "tailgating" is a serious possibility. In the event of a power failure, the system is sort of fail-safe in that the night latch can be operated from outside by key, and by knob from the inside.

My elderly relative has recently suffered from hip surgery etc. and is now unsteady on her legs; and having a ground floor flat, far prefers to use her French window door instead of struggling against the spring controlled door at the main entrance. This must be less secure, but at least she keeps out of hospital.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Try looking round here for wirefree products, decent quality stuff.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

"Peter K" wrote | I'm trying to source a remote door entry system for a "retirement" | flat. I think the first question is: | "Are these systems physically secure ? - can they be "kicked" open, | are they only suitable for use during daylight hours and should a | second locking system be applied at night or when the proprety is empty"

They are moderately secure but I would not wish to rely on a standard electromagnetic lock release as sole security.

| The wish list includes | Accomodate a mortise lock (or does this solution invalidate the insurance | requirements of a lock to BS????).

Mortice locks are generally incompatible with electric releases as the bolt has to spring back when the door closes. You would have to use a mortice latch or a rim latch.

| Voice communication and lock release by "radio" - limited mobility so | I'm trying to get a solution that would avoid installation of fixed | points in kitchen, bedroom and living room. (security issue here?)

There are door entry systems that work in conjunction with a standard telephone, so you could use a cordless phone. Can be pricey though.

| Can anyone provide any links to web sites "reputable" suppliers? - google | searches return lots of hits but they are either commercial systems or sites | that do not publish a business address

A good manufacturer for small systems is

The 'eponymous' manufacturer is

A main and very helpful distributor is

Owain

Reply to