dish washers

My daughter has just built a new house with every gadget (it is ultra modern) in it that you could think of but what has impressed me most is her dish washer set up. She has a dish washer on each side of the sink so that when one is full and cleaning she can put dirty dishes in the other and so keep all her work tops and sink clear of dirty dishes. I never thought of this before but it is an excellent idea if you have space; dish washers are not expensive but what a difference it has made to her kitchen.

Reply to
Stewart

Odd idea, a wash only takes an hour or so. Better to remove the innards of the 2nd machine and mount it on the ceiling, so it washes the entire kitchen :) ISTR someone doing that once.

NT

Reply to
NT

Our dish washer takes well over 2 hours to wash and dry the dishes and in that time we generally use more dishes.

Reply to
Stewart

Occurred to me as obvious within hours of using my first dishwasher. But then I am the laziest git you're likely to encounter :-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Oi, form a queue, you.

Reply to
Huge

I find that emptying the dishwasher when it's finished solves this problem for me.

Maybe with two dishwashers, you can get away with having no storage space for crockery and pans, if you limit yourself to the amount that fits in one at a time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Stewart writes

Bet you find you can sort circuit that though by opening the door. on the 50C 'Eco' program we normally use the dishwasher seems to sit for about 40 mins at the end whilst things dry inside.

Open the door and they are dry in 5 mins or so.

Reply to
chris French

Indeed so, and running it overnight means that whilst it is running there is no further accumulation of dirty dishes, and saves money on E7.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We use a manual wash, takes about 10 mins to load, wash, dry and put away.

Very eco friendly.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Edgerton

Bow down before your master!

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

If the space left in it will hold a significant amount of washing but less than the next meal will generate, you either have to run it before it's full just to make room for the next batch, or leave some of the next batch out while the current full load cleans.

I was tempted to get two smaller dishwashers so there's always one empty and clean for the overflow to start filling. In the end, I didn't bother though.

I expect we'll more than fill the dishwasher some meals this Christmas. Maybe the OP's daughter entertains a lot and does that more often than just at Christmas.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

And if you don't have quite enough space in exactly the right place get a commercial one. With a three minute cycle. I don't think there are many domestic kitchens where that would not keep pace with the rate of dirtying.

Reply to
polygonum

I have used one with a 90 sec cycle. the trouble is they take 20-30 mins to heat up before you can use the 90 sec cycle. They also use a lot of energy heating the water tank, far more than the few litres a domestic machine uses per wash.

Reply to
dennis

If you can afford a new house, and the space and cost of two dishwashers just to keep the surfaces clear, I don't think a few extra units of electricity will be much of an issue.

Reply to
polygonum

According even to Friends of the Earth, assuming you already have a dishwasher and therefore there is no environmental cost in making a new one, dishwashing can be more environmentally friendly than hand washing. Less water is used, necessitating less heating as well.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You are quite right, my daughter did enquire about a commercial dishwasher but they could not match her kitchen!!

Reply to
Stewart

You need a magic dishwasher like ours! I leave the dirty dishes on the worktop and the washing fairy puts them in the dishwasher, washes them and puts them away in the cupboard.

Reply to
chudford

We have one which is split horizontally into two separate machines (a Fischer Paykel I think). Works well for us as the two halves can function completely independently.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Most dishes only need the low temp fast eco cycle.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is best to have twice as much crockery and cutlery. Keep putting them in the d/w (a dirty dishes cupboard) until full and then start. You do not run out of crockery and cutlery then. No need for two, unless you entertain big time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel