Dimmer switching - part two

Further to another question I posted in dimmer switches. What are folks here doing about the demise of the standard bulb? Currently (no pun) I can still buy filament bulbs from 'cheap' shops, but balk at the idea of halogen bulbs because of their cost. Low energy bulbs do not like dimmer switches or touch lamps and I have no experience of LED in household (ceiling or bedside). I could do with some shared experience advice here.

Reply to
Jim S

Buy a modest stock of the types you use and store them. Continue to buy replacements as needed. then you always have the buffer stock. My feeling is that filament lamps will continue to be available for a considerable time to come.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Dr Watson was considering the same question and discussing it with Holmes.

"I say, Holmes. Shall we change to CFLs, LEDs or stick with what we have got?"

"Filamentary, my dear Watson."

Reply to
polygonum

They may do where you live, but up here the only supply is from the shops that buy unmarked containers from China :(

Reply to
Jim S

Aw - man

Reply to
Jim S

I buy filament lamps in blocks of 20-50 online, every few years.

60 watt standard BC pearl 40 watt standard BC candle 60 watt screw pearl 40 watt small BC candle. Plus 12v 60W halogens that I get from newey an eyre n blocks of 20 every few years. They last longer than the new eco bulbs.. genearly 3 years in high usage areas.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes particularly the little ones as there is nothing much like them that are light and don't look like what they are, bodged up leds etc. Halogen I think are certainly on the way out from what i have heard. To be honest I never really liked dimmers as the light that came out was often rather headache inducing, but that might have just been my bad eyes reacting at the early stages of the disease. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

are red herrings powered by red leds?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thew worrying things I've been told is that many LEDs now fail not due to the leds being faulty but the power supply inside being crap and dying prematurely. seems somebody is churning them out in china too. Not gone down that road here as need little light myself these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I guess if you lit your office like that you would have A Study in Scarlet.

Reply to
polygonum

Reply to
meow2222

You can still get them in some privately-owned / family DIY shops - sometimes as sold as 'rough use' (or something similar).

However, around here, I reckon the powers-that-be are trying an underhanded way of killing off old-style bulbs. The mains voltage, which has for years been typically 230V (with occasional daily excursions to

225 and 235V), now almost never rarely below 240V - and is usually 245 to 250V. OK, it's in spec, but it will shorten the life of incandescents.
Reply to
Ian Jackson

Ian Jackson wrote in news:Ldxcu+ snipped-for-privacy@g3ohx.demon.co.uk:

I have just had my kitchen done up and had 10 Halers H2 Pro downlights fitted. Only 8.5 watts. Dimmable and with a 7 year warranty. Very impressed. JCC also make some with a 10 year warranty.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A +/- 7% solution.

Reply to