'Detail' grinder, like a Dremel but maybe bigger - such a thing?

Page 1 of 2
I'm after a tool for cleaning up after welding and similar which can get into places where a 115mm angle grinder can't reach. I have an angle grinder for most of the cleaning up but it would be really nice to clean up those little crevices where the grinder can't reach. At the moment for example I'm repair welding a Honda motorcycle collection box which is quite a convoluted 4 into 1 arrnagement and has lots of places where the 115mm grinder can't reach.
Would a Dremel with a conical grind wheel be up to this or is there something more suitable? I think a conical grind wheel on a hand drill would be decidely clumsy as a hand drill isn't really designed for holding easily to do this sort of job.

βœ–

I would use a conical grinder in one of these:
<http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 932&ts•333>
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

nothing to really keep hold of to manipulate the grind wheel. It's a possibility though if I can't find anything better.

βœ–
<snip>

Not sure I follow - you get hold of the grey bit at the end near the remote chuck to manipulate, or did you mean it wasn't a meaty enough hand-hold to extert much pressure (as you could with an angle grinder?).
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
βœ–

with a pointy grindwheel would do fine, though something a little smaller and lighter might be even better.

βœ–

Reminded me I could do with one of these!
I used to have one for years, but finally trashed it by jamming a bit in something. The drill didn't stall, it just wound the flexible drive up in a tangle and wrecked it.
So for grinding you would have to be careful not to put too much load on or you could trash the flexible drive. Possibly a drill with a screwdriver setting to reduce the maximum torque would provide some protection.
One alternative might be a conical grind wheel with a long shaft in a standard drill? This could get into narrow angles, but still wouldn't get into really hard to reach places.
Finally, you could try and find an old dentists drill :-) Flexible shaft, designed to go into all sorts of hard to get to places.
Cheers Dave R
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd say a Dremel is rather lacking in power for this sort of job. A larger motor with a flexible drive should get round this without making the business end too large. Have a look at the 'Rotozip' type things that B&Q sell which would seem ideal.
--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

βœ–

without their baseplate? Can you get grinding bits for them?

βœ–

I'm not sure as I bought an end of line B&Q copy - and it can to both.
Rotozip aren't made anymore, but someone's selling new ones on eBay with a 'buy it now' price of 10 quid, which seems somewhat of a bargain.
--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

βœ–

Not such a bargain, but you can still buy them here (for now)
http://www.bargaincrazy.com/bcrazy/product.asp?brand Όrazy&cat%5 Fid017&zone%5Fid=&prod%5Fid409&seq=2&page=&OrderBy=&offer%5Fi d=&source%5Fcode=&publication%5Fcode=&leaflet=&extra=&mscs_sid=JM PEXKSH2MSR2H4C00AKHTM2RD4LDXC9
http://tinyurl.com/m2gb
I have bought from these people before and they are OK
W.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2 Sep 2003 09:19:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I have a Dremel with accessories, and wouldn't care to recommend it as a mainstay tool. It's more of a modelmakers toy for when you might want to shave the end off a matchstick or piece of balsa.
PoP
Add pictures here
βœ–

looking for is a 'big' Dremel. As I said elsewhere in the thread would a Rotozip (or lookalike) do what I want?

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

What you want is a high-speed flexible shaft grinder. It must be able to go at 20,000 R.P.M. and use a collet rather than a chuck. There used to be a firm called "Morrisflex", years ago, that supplied good sets (also used in engine tuning, etc).
________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's near enough what I got - the previous model when it was on special offer. Can be used as a router as well. It's certainly more suited to grinding metal than a Dremel.
--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

βœ–

with it. It has a 140 watt motor and comes with *lots* of disposable little grinding wheels.

βœ–
On 2 Sep 2003 09:19:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Die grinder. Cheap, compact and useful, if you get a pneumatic one. OTOH, you'll need a compressor.
Add pictures here
βœ–

justify a compressor just for this and I'm not sure I really have much use for a compressor otherwise.
I've bought a B&Q Power Pro Dremel lookalike to see if it's useful, it may be a little on the small size but on the other hand may be just enough for what I want. I'll see how I go.

βœ–
On 2 Sep 2003 09:19:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I'd try a Dremel myself but I've got one so guess I'm biased. ;-)
Probably wouldn't stand upto all day use but without straining it and not doing too much at once I'd have thought it would be ok.
I've cut car tyres with mine (the steel cables in them as well). Not used the grinding wheels as such but tried one on something I shouldn't and it wore it away rather sharpish so maybe need to find if they sell harder ones. ;-)
Mark S.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:
Hello snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk

Maybe a flexible drill shaft with diddy grinder wheel on a normal drill?
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
βœ–