dehumidifier

mines stopped working today was ok yesterday fan still runs but compressor doesn't ne1 here up to speed on these things or should i send it away needless to say its out of warranty
Mindwipe wrote:

Are you using it in a particularly cold location? They will not run below +a few degrees C to reduce the risk of freezing up (just like Pug aircon units!!) Other possible problems: The float swtich on the water tank is stuck in the high water position. Compressor start relay knackered.
hth
Bob
--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld

How much out of warranty is it!?
Sparks...
a year

If you still have some kind of proof of purchase, then you may be entitled to some redress by the place you bought it under the sale of goods act.
Here is an example from the trading standards website (www.tradingstandards.gov.uk) Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to do anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my rights? A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This holds the shop liable for up to six years after purchase (Limitation Act 1980), providing that you can show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is in addition to these statutory legal rights. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more information on your rights.
Sparks...

under
this has been done to death elsewhere - the 6 years is the limitation period after which you can't chase them
within that period is whatever was in their terms or whatever you can convince a Judge of
5 broken radio = 6 months = ziltch
3000 broken plasma screen = several years of good service but there is no hard & fast rule