Cutting disc expiry date

I bought a pack of five Erbauer metal cutting discs from Screwfix about

18 months ago. Three were used and the rest stored. I needed to use them again yesterday, but noted on the metal centre of the disk "Validity 2016/05" (see similar example here:

I'd not noticed this before, and as far as I can tell there is nothing in the DIY Wiki about it at

However, at

about halfway down it states "In addition to this, you'll see the expiry date embossed on the centre ring. This gives you the needed info on whether the disc is still safe to use or not."

I still used the disc I had and it was fine, but does anyone here have experience of a disc that disintegrated when used after its expiry date?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

There can certainly be a problem with discs that are not stored properly

- especially if they have got damp.

Some seem to have expiry dates on them and others not - so not sure how much of a problem it is.

(I recall one post here some years ago where someone had a disc explode on them in use, and ended up with a gashed hand)

Reply to
John Rumm

I recently did an abrasive wheels course. If you see some of the facial injuries they can cause if they break due to being out of date I'm sure you would not use them , if they break the debris is nearly as fast as a bullet. Its tempting to use out of date cutting wheels etc. But is it worth your eyesight. I think not !

Reply to
Baz.S

Baz.S was thinking very hard :

Before replying to an 5 year old post from a broken website, please read and digest this:

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

What only five years this time, that is almost current! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa