Cutting a tile in situ?

Hi,
dumb bunny moment #23 - stuck one more wall tile on than required and now it is where a corner of the WHB should go.
Offered the WHB up, and it covers part of the tile, in a curve.
So:
do I remove the complete tile, fix the WHB , cut a curve out of a new tile, and fix it
or
do I cut a curve in the tile in situ, and remove part of the tile, then fit the WHB?
If so, how?
Cheers Dave R [on another computer]

tile,
tile, then fit

If it's a cloakroom WHB, I'd completely tile the wall then place WHB over the tiles. For a main bathroom basin, I'd do a similar job but miss out tiles should they be completely hidden under a void. I think it gives a better appearance and a useful recess for the sealant.
--
Toby.

NTL. Bringing you yesterday's news today, and a bit of last week's. Maybe.
wrote

the
Toby, confused now. If I tile behind the WHB, where is the recess for the sealant? I was intending to fit WHB to wall and tile around it, as you would for a bath. This sinks the back of the WHB below the surface of the tiles and should provide a better seal against water. Problem now is what to do with one extra tile :-) Cheers Dave R

I see your original problem but unsure what would be best, cutting in situ sounds difficult.

I mean between the natural radius along the back of the basin and the tile surface.
| | __ _ |/ \_______/ \ ||____________/ || |
Toby.

it
tile,
fit
Dave,
As suggested elsewhere, tile the wall completely (or enough to go behind the basin) and then fit the wash hand basin to the tiled surface.
You should then have enough room to seal the joint between the basin and tiled wall either using tile cement or, (my preference) a silicone anti-fungicidal mastic which can then be 'tooled off' to whatever shape that you want.
This is the easiest way of doing it with the minimum of tile cutting.
Brian

now
the
that
You're just trying to talk me out of buying a new tool :-)
O.K - thanks to all - will look at doing it that way!

<snipped>
A bath is totally different Shelagh. A bath has water pouring along it a lot more than a WHB, because of showers and things. It also moves a lot more than a WHB so needs a better seal against the wall.
A WHB is just stuck there, it doesn't move, it doesn't need anything fancy to stop it moving or seal from minor water spillage. That's why everyone is telling you to tile it before offering up the basin, then just a smear of sealant along the back edge will stop the tiny dribbles.
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

I always tile em in. The backs are never square. Fasten em down at teh back with car body filler so they are ROCK solid, then cut teh tile top fiot the edge less a nice 3mm or so grout line, and grout em in =- or if a purist, use white silcopne (or if you were daft enough to mount only using the bits that came with em.).

Do it my way. Get a tile cutting diaond wheel and learb to sculpt tiles with it., A fine file or emnery paper smotths teh cut edges nicely.