Cut length of 4mm FT&E

I need about 3 - 4m of 4mm FT&E and can't find a local place that does it.

Looked at SF and I saw something about cable by the metre as a page was loading - then nothing after it had loaded. Does SF do it by the metre?

Reply to
PeterC

TLC do cable by the metre.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So will most electrical wholesalers on your local industrial estate. Ebay are another source for cable by the metre. Perhaps a little dearer with post but you don't need to leave your armchair apart from opening the door to postie!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wilkos do cut sizes here

Reply to
stuart noble

Where are you? I've got loads here so could post it.

Reply to
A.Lee

Most electrical wholesalers sell the larger cables by the metre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Flat twin and earth of fat fingers:-)

Reply to
ARW

^^ OR

Reply to
ARW

Flat T&E

Reply to
John Rumm

Right - is there any other sort? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BS66436 (ali-tube cables) and FP cables are round and in a twin and earth format (unlike flex which is 3 core), I am not aware of any round PVC T&E cable.

Reply to
ARW

So far I've looked on Wilko's site but, as that doesn't have items that I know are in store, I suspect only bigger stuff is on there (in some cases), so only reels of cable. ICR seeing 4mm in Wilko.

Interesting that wholesalers do cut lengths of the bigger cables - I suppose

4, 6 and 10mm aren't used in great quantities. Took me about 15 years to get through 50m of 6mm, I've used about 5m of 10mm once and have never used 4mm.
Reply to
PeterC

Thank you! I'm near Northampton. I'll see what's local, to save you the trouble of posting it, then come back if no luck.

The job is simple: 2-off 2-gang 13A plates spurred from a ring. Max. load ATM is about 4.3kW, so 2.5mm would handle it and significantly higher load is improbable (kettle and microwave so far - doesn't leave much) and the cable is in surface trunking.

Reply to
PeterC

Extend the ring with 2.5mm

Reply to
ARW

Now, although I am (used to be) OK with control wiring and, to some extent, mains wiring, I don't do it very often - I have to think about and draw out

2-way and so on, whereas at one time I could just do it.

To extend a ring I've always gone back past the socket from which I'm extending to the previous one, taken out 1 run, put in a new run to the new socket and then a new run to the 'end' socket. In this case it's difficult to do that as everywhere is fitted carpets and laminate flooring (I /hate/ 'buried' services) and she (note the pronoun) wouldn't be happy if I start ripping up things. The only way I could extend the ring without doing open-cast mining on her floors is to connect an existing run and a new one in the 'end' socket - there might not be space and is it permitted?

Reply to
PeterC

I am sure there is something on the wiki about extending a ring with crimps behind a socket. Buggered if I can find it.

Reply to
ARW

John Rumm

Thanks Adam and John. I have plenty of 2.5mm and, although it's in the old colours, there's a label on the CU to that effect [1]. I'll be going back to an original socket anyway.

[1] The local sparky put in the new socket (and moved the cooker point) but didn't put a label on the CU, so I used one of mine - only 6 left!
Reply to
PeterC