Custom Laminate

I remember that it is possible to get laminate (e.g. Formica) made with your own design. (Even found Formica® Digital at which is pretty much exactly what we want.)

But I wondered if there were any DIY ways of achieving a similar result? E.g. print the design and stick it onto existing laminate using crystal clear polyester resin. Partner is a bit good at designing patterns and it would be rather nice to use some of her designs in the kitchen.

Has anyone ever tried? Any pointers?

Failing that, any suggestions of other companies that might offer similar services to that of Formica so that I can compare their offerings/prices?

Reply to
Rod

A friend of mine used to do that professionally. However, the designs were printed on fabric (you can get art canvas for inkjet printers) and she did it the other way around. A clear gel-coat resin was applied to a mirror-smooth former, which had been treated with release agent. The fabric was then stippled into the gel-coat and layers of glass reinforced plastic applied to the back of that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No idea why. I have just re-checked that link (copied from my newsreader to make sure I picked up what you saw) in IE7 and Firefox and Safari (under Windows XP) and had earlier passed it on to partner (Safari OSX Leopard). All worked without any problems.

Reply to
Rod

I'll try again, c&p instead of clicking.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yup, that worked. I'll peruse it later, thanks,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Windows Server 2003 probably has something to do with it. Works well enough until someone publishes a URL on usenet, the load sky rockets and the server falls over...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wrong, it was my fault.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I can't believe that many people followed the link I posted.

The one I am waiting for is the publication of the Vista SP1 URL... :-)

Reply to
Rod

Can't think that just following a link will cause the remote server to generate an "Internal Server Error". Munging such a simple URL (ie it doesn't have a query string or similar) should just produce a "404 - Page not found" message.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How many square km do you need to order?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A few square feet!! The amount depends on the price - as the price will inevitably depend on the amount. :-) Say at most enough for 6 metres of worktop.

Reply to
Rod

Thanks Colin - I didn't want to hear that - can't stand the smell of polyester resin. :-( But thanks - it might work.

We did have some inside contacts a few years ago as inkjet printable fabrics became available. Even got a few samples.

(Someone I knew used PVA over printed canvas to make floor coverings. Layer upon layer upon layer.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Reply to
Rod

No, I meant what's the minimum order from Formica digital, not how much *you* need. Looking at that website I doubt they'll take orders from Joe public for one kitchen's worth.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ha! - I am awaiting a response to my email - I got an interim out-of-office response.

Reply to
Rod

I haven't said what I did.

People are too keen to blame Microsoft or Windows for all the ills of the computer world, it seems to me. It hasn't been my experience.

Sits back and waits for barrage ... which I shan't see.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Silly old Moo.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

So, it's broken then. Nothing you do should, under any circumstances, cause that.

Reply to
Bob Eager