Cracks on internal walls

Hi everyone,

We would appreciate some advice on the below issue:

There are cracks apearing on some if the walls through out an area of the house (internal) and I need to asatain if there is a serious problem. When I recently had a small room upstairs re plastered I noticed there was some decay upstairs between the iner suporting wall and a small gap between the iner and outer wall.

There are also cracks on both the ground and 1st floor internal walls. The cracks in the house have been increasing over the last month both in size and areas. Please advise. If you can help!

Reply to
RMann

It sounds like cavity wall tie failure to me. New ones can be retro-fitted, so don't let anyone make a big job out of this. It's a simple procedure. It will have to be looked at by an expert. ie a local builder.

Example:-

Others can be glued in.

Reply to
harry

Or it might be something else.

That's about the last person you want to diagnose structural issues.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A friend brought a new build property and he was told for the first year or two cracks might appear due to subsidence and was give a contact number via the estate agent if this should happen and it did. They just filled them. well they weren't large so.... I don't have any experience on this but is it a new or old property. At worst it could be the start of a sink hole

Reply to
whisky-dave

Age of house, and internal wall construction, this time of year radiator feed pipes heating up can cause vertical cracks

Reply to
spartansmt

replying to harry, Rue MannChew wrote: Thank you so much for the info! Very helpful.

Reply to
Rue MannChew