Crack in side of house

I am new to this group, and have just bought my own house.

My house is a 1930 end of terrace, and was built with structural window frames supporting the outer skin of brick (solid walls).

One of these has obviously failed at some point (see photo):

window has been bricked up, but the crack remains (there has been a token effort at some repointing).

Should I:

a) Use helifix bars and helibond? b) Use an epoxy crack repair injection? Does anyone know if these are available in coaxial tubes so you can use them in a standard mastic gun like polyester resin, rather than buying a special gun? c) Replace broken bricks and repoint?

Thanks,

Ben

Reply to
benjamin.p.hawkins

Can't see a real problem from your photo. Can't you just leave it?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

There is still a hairline crack running up the mortar beds and through a couple of bricks. Nothing you could get a coin in, but I feel if nothing else I should stop water getting in as with a solid wall there isn't the cavity to help prevent penetrating damp.... (not a problem at the moment, but could be in the winter).

Thanks,

Ben

Reply to
benjamin.p.hawkins

> The window has been bricked up, but the crack remains (there has been a

My house has had a bigger crack than that for >20 years, which is well before I bought it. I think its just settling after the house end was rebuilt around 1972. It's got breeze blocks on the inside.

Never really given it a second thought or even tried to fix it. The main thing is to check it's not growing. A patch of cement pasted over it will prove this over the course of a year or so.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

I'd simply fill the cracks with mortar to prevent the ingress of moisture.

Obviously, if the window frames are structural and one has failed you should get it repaired.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

| I am new to this group, and have just bought my own house. | | My house is a 1930 end of terrace, and was built with structural window | frames supporting the outer skin of brick (solid walls). | | One of these has obviously failed at some point (see photo): | |

| | The window has been bricked up, but the crack remains (there has been a | token effort at some repointing).

Can only just see it on the photo, so it is not too bad. Repoint it, and wait a few years. If it gets worse do something, otherwise ignore it. All houses have cracks :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

That would be my choice, and use lime mortar to accommodate any future movement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do nothing. I can hardly see a crack. To put this in perspective, insurance companies don't entertain claims unless you can put your fist in the crack. That's their idea of a crack :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Probably best. do not remove too manybricks at once.

be useful.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Better still, a couple of offcuts from your glazier or microscope slides fixed across the crack with a dob of car body filler at each end will indicate progressive movement.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Stop worrying about it unless it's significantly bigger in a couple of years - and don't be surprised if it expands and contracts with seasonal change. Most of all don't start using hard fixes in a soft wall - repointing with hard cement mortar when the original is soft lime mortar could create more problems than it solves.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That will indicate movement of any kind, it won't tell you if it's progressive or seasonal.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Cracks are better than bulges IMHO

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you must do something (don't think I would looking at the size of the crack), then I would go for this option as well - assuming you can source bricks that will match well enough.

Reply to
John Rumm

'suppose you heard about, "Police discover crack in Australia"? sorry :-)

Reply to
mike