Cowboy builders - again!

My aunty has got a damp problem in her extension, the wallpaper at the bottom of the wall started to curl up soon after they moved in, they havent decorated since, as they need other things doing first (like re-fit all the doors that wont shut, or scrape along the floor).

Anyway, she asks would I go round and see about the skirting board that is rotting. I go round, yep, skirting board is rotten, which seems a bit strange for an extension only around 10 years old. I rip off one piece to get a sample for the profile. Hmm, somethings not quite right here - it came off rather easily, and the bottom of the wall was black with mildew. Scrape back a bit, and the plaster started falling off, though it didnt quite look like plaster. Peeled off some wallpaper, and it all became clear - the cowboys who had built it hadnt bothered plastering the walls, they put up sheets of half inch chipboard FFS. I showed the mess at the bottom of the wall, and said all of the walls need stripping down to find where the water is coming in - that is way too much of a job for me to sort. My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap chipboard, and he thinks there is no damp course at all on the extension

- there are certainly no blue bricks above ground level. The £50 job for me has now turned into a £3000 strip down and plaster, and remedy some other things. She is not happy.

So the query - how long after purchase can they go back to their surveyor and find out if he ballsed up? I'm not too sure that they had a full survey done though, so doubt they have any fallback on these extra costs. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe there wasn't any plasterboard on the lorry with the loose tailgate that week :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Even cheap chipboard?

I think chipboard must be the most environmentally unfriendly stuff in the whole wide world. There's a large Egger chipboard plant in Hexham, Northumberland, which seems to have major fires/explosions on a regular basis - at one time about two a year...

Hexham's a lovely market town, but as you approach it from the east there's this sprawling 50 acre factory belching out effluvia most (all?) of the time.

To me, chipboard is purely functional - along with OSB it has no character. Plywood has a certain "mechanical" charm for those who appreciate the idea of cross-polarisation of grain, and MDF can satisfy those that have no time for natural materials...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yes, and they claim they only expel steam from those chimneys. The steam kind of lingers around the valley in the summer. Why they don't use it to heat local houses or fields of greenhouses, I will never know.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Actually very cheap and very crap chipboard is often used as packing material..I ended up with some and used it to make boxing for pipework - got tiled over.

As such, it is essentially 'free'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It used to regularly activate smoke alarms at a place I worked at several miles upwind. Nasty site!

Reply to
<me9

True - but sheets large enough to do walls with would be a different matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steam will activate some smoke alarms.

Reply to
dennis

Certainly will . If the wife doesnt close the bathroom door when showering 'SCREAM BLEAT HOWL' and dogs 'WUFF WUFF' and 'YAP YAP' and crashes as the cats take cover(s with them) :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I made two wall cabinets for my garage workshop out of the larger pieces of 9mm sheet chipboard I pulled out of the loft when I reboarded it properly. Painted white and with proper doors (one set moulded mdf, one frame 'n' panel) they do the necessary for very little (only cheap hinges iirc).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Doubtless the costs of replacement after it corroded all the pipes would put them off that one...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby