Cost of Owning a Septic Tank???

IMHO a Klagester is not a septic tank, it's a small treatment plant. Completely different and as you imply aerobic in action, not a lot of choice with air constantly being bubbled through it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Funnily enough, not necessarily.

Water in streams and rivers runs into the sea: Replenishment of subterranean aquifers requires it soak into the soil.

Round here we pump the chalk: Its about 4-10ft under the clay soil.

Best use of rainwater would be to plant scrub and trees to slow it all down and allow it to seep into the chalk below: Having it run off in a rush stops it going deep. The fields here are all drained with land drains to get that water out of the soil before it can.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you are not referring to a 11+ year old septic tank, but a modern treatment plant. Form Klargester own advice re, septic tanks. "Do you rarely, if ever, empty your septic tank." If this is the case, then your tank may be damaged and/or leaking untreated effluent into the ground and therefore polluting the surrounding property and environment."

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

50 quid a year emptying charge. One of the local farmers uses his tractor, and takes it to the sewage works ......

Your water bills go down, no sewage charges.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Are you sure ?

It wouldn't be unknown for it to be sprayed across farmland

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

You ask the guy, you trust him, its like that my way. And what farmer whats "mummies napies" across his land ?

What they spay is either animal muck from their sheds, or the sludges from the sewage works, that has had the stuff that should not be in the toilet removed, and most of the latter is "injected" a couple of foot under the soil.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

A typical ad-mans blurb (note the use of the weasel word "may") What else could you expect from a company that is trying to sell you a wonderful new bit of gubbins?

Reply to
John

And continue the Nitrogen cycle of nature

Reply to
John

I think as many streams run into reservoirs as rivers, and even those that feed rivers probably see the water reused ten times as it flows downstream. The problem with any subterranean system is the water out can lag water in by 5-100 years. Our spring is certainly about ten years behind.

Reply to
Mike

Where do you think a lot of the stuff from your 'professional' sewage works ends up ?

Reply to
Mike

If "mummies nappies" are ending up in the septic tank then Mummy needs to educated into what should or should not be going down the toilet...

Apart from proper toilet tissue if it hasn't been through your digestive tract it does not go down the toilet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

of day - or not

Reply to
Dave Brook

Yerrs, but the bloke who asked seemd to be about to install a tank, and thats all you will be allowed to install these days, mostly.

I think it still is clased as a septic tank as well.

I mean sewage treatment plants are just huge smelly septic tanks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And a backup service plan to go with it...;-)

I pop the lid now and again to check its all doing what it should...

No png, not much solid. Its working.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No reservoirs downsteream of us here - just into the Orwell sysrtem but across the road its the great Ouse system...all aquifers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These days the bigger ones use a filter belt press, such as:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

: > I guess it will need emptying in a few years. Its supposed to be the : > sort of 80 quid a year call out and pump thing, but I suspect I may : > simply get in with a spade and wheelbarrow and dig out most of it and : > stick it on the compost heap one day... : : is there any reason why this shouldnt be done?

There are three layers. The sludge at the bottom is shovellable-out. The liquid above that is pumpable out. The crust above that is mingingly disgusting.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston